Multi Client Manager?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

lgharis
Premium Member
Premium Member

Multi Client Manager?

Post by lgharis »

Has anyone used the Multi Client Manager shipped with 7.5? I have three AIX systems with 7.0. I am preparing to install 7.5 on another AIX system. Since I will be administering the 7.0 systems and the 7.5 system(s) I need to use both versions of the clients. I have the client switcher also but have not installed it. Which should I use? :?:

Leroy Gharis
JPMorgan
Leroy Gharis

Dallas, TX
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I've used the older Client Switcher but not the new Multi Client Manager yet. I'd say go with the latter as it is supported whereas the older one is not. Besides, I doubt the older one supprts 7.5, but the new one will support 7.0. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
lgharis
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by lgharis »

Sounds like good advice. I am a little puzzled on how to install? Am I supposed to install the MCM before installing a second version of the clients? Or, do I install the new client version and then the MCM? I have looked for doc but cannot find any on the CD. All I can find is reference to MCM as a new feature. I guess my next step is to contact Ascential support.

Leroy
JPMC
Leroy Gharis

Dallas, TX
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
usually you simply need to install them on different directories.
now regarding 7.5 check with Ascential if you really need all 7.X client versions installed.
a large number of DS versions implies you have a support contract so if all fails ask them (your doing supported stuff ;))

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

lgharis wrote:Am I supposed to install the MCM before installing a second version of the clients? Or, do I install the new client version and then the MCM?
Doesn't matter. Just don't try to use MCM without two client flavors installed. :wink: And as Roy mentioned, make sure you install the two clients to separate directories!
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Eric
Participant

Post by Eric »

You install the MCM when you install the 7.5 clients, just make sure you choose the 'customise' option and tick the MCM box. If you try to install the new MCM on it's own it takes a bit of messing about.
lgharis
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by lgharis »

I just installed the MCM with the 7.5 clients. No surprises. As Eric stated be sure to select the Custom option so that you can select a different path than the default. Otherwise, you will overlay existing clients.

Also, before starting the installation make sure to have an Administrator id for the desktop handy. It will prompt for the id/password during the install.

After the install, I still had to go into the MCM client GUI and point it to the path of the existing 7.0 clients on my desktop. This could be a result of the fact that I "Cancel"ed out of the first install because I did not have the correct Windows Administrator id handy. The id must be exactly as entered in the Control Panel/System/User Profiles.

Seems to work pretty good. When you want to switch versions you start up the MCM client GUI. Select the version you want. It takes a minute or two for it to set all of the system settings. Once it has completed you shutdown the MCM client and start the desired client from correct icon.

One more thing. When you install the new client, don't put the icons in the same Windows group folder as your existing client(s). I created a new group for them to be put in.

Leroy
Leroy Gharis

Dallas, TX
lgharis
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by lgharis »

Additional info.

- The MCM not only changes the registry settings, it also changes the settings of the icons on the desktop. Pretty neat. The previous Client Switcher did not do this.

- Versions of clients installed after the MCM is installed are automatically included in the list of available versions in the MCM.
Leroy Gharis

Dallas, TX
Turkbear
Participant

Post by Turkbear »

lgharis wrote:Additional info.

- The MCM not only changes the registry settings, it also changes the settings of the icons on the desktop. Pretty neat. The previous Client Switcher did not do this.

- Versions of clients installed after the MCM is installed are automatically included in the list of available versions in the MCM.
I too find it a very valuable addition since we are migrating from 5.2 to 7.5 but need to keep the 5.2 running until testing is complete..I do not need to have 2 PCs with 1 version on each as I did before.

Ideally, I would like to be able to have BOTH clients open simultaneously, but that may be too much to ask..
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

If you need to access different clients simultaneously from the same physical PC, you could check into Virtual PC, VMWare or Terminal Sevices. I've used all three of these products with success.

Mike
Turkbear
Participant

Post by Turkbear »

Mike wrote:If you need to access different clients simultaneously from the same physical PC, you could check into Virtual PC, VMWare or Terminal Sevices. I've used all three of these products with success.

Mike
Thanks, we do have VMWare and it never occured to me to use it for that... :oops:

I'll see how it goes...