User defined sql table definition

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

wdudek
Participant

User defined sql table definition

Post by wdudek »

I have a question regarding user defined sql, specifically in the oracle stage. A colleague says that he did not have to create the output columns when he used user defined sql, but instead that they were created for him. He has never been able to duplicate this, so is it possible to have the columns for user defined sql automatically created, or do you need to type them into the output link yourself? I'm talking about column definitions for output, not the sql itself.

Thanks,

Bill
ds_developer
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ds_developer »

Within a transformer you can select the columns on the left and drop them on the Column Name portion of a link on the right. This will result in the output columns being populated.

Is this what you mean?

John
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

Not as far as I know, Bill.

Tony
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's true in the ODBC stage, provided you load the column definitions with "generated SQL" selected then later switch to "user defined SQL"; maybe that's what he was using?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The other option is "Fully Generated SQL", I believe. From what I recall, after you build the query you can click the 'Synchronize' button and it will create whatever columns are required to support the query. I think. I tend to avoid that particular way of doing things. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

Oooh. I never thought of that. I don't think I've ever actually a used fully generated query. Hmmm...

Tony
wdudek
Participant

Post by wdudek »

Thanks, he was using the ODBC stage while I was using the Oracle stage.