Loading data on multiple nodes simultaneously

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DSmamta
Participant

Loading data on multiple nodes simultaneously

Post by DSmamta »

Hello:

I am studying for DataStage - DS Server, Parallel Extender and Osh Shell scripting.
ver 6.x/7.x

I find this forum just too cool.....! This is a great place to increase ones learning curve besides books (for beginners like me). :)

Q - where do I find information on loading data on multiple nodes simultaneously, kinds of problems one encounters, the commands used and solutions...?

I also would like to read about:
- complex transformations, job sequences, before/after subroutines and its solutions.
- Environmental variables
- Osh commands

Maybe I am not searching correctly..... would appreciate if anybody could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

MJ
Amos.Rosmarin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Amos.Rosmarin »

Hi

Your questions are too general, You can find answer to all your questions in the DS documentation that was installed as part of the client installation.

simultaneous use of node is done automatically according to your config file.

Amos
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Hi MJ,

Follow these steps.

1. Look into Ascential documentation for a basic understanding of Server concepts(servjdev.pdf) and Parallel Extender concepts(parjdev.pdf).

2. If possible you can take a course from Ascential.

3. Start working on the tool. Try to use all the stages. The result is you will end up in problems.

4. If you encounter problems with regard to Server Edition post your problems on Server forum and if you encounter problems with regard to Enterprise Edition post your problems on Parallel Extender forum.

5. One important thing that I do is SEARCH the forum before posting a post. So before posting pls SEARCH. Do some homework and then if nothing comes out do a post in the respective forum for maximum visibility and appropriate response.

6. If you don't get answers which is not the case in DSXchange you can probably post it on ADN where Ascential people sometimes help you out.

HTH
--Rich
DSmamta
Participant

Thank You..!

Post by DSmamta »

Thanks Amos and Rich, appreciate your advice and for taking the time to reply...!

Regards,
MJ :)
datastage
Participant

Post by datastage »

Yeah, the forum is great for some specific questions, but if you are not familiar with some of the DataStage entities then the best place to start is in class or reading the .pdf manuals.

One thing to note about Adobe Acrobat Reader... if you download the free reader from adobe.com, there is an option you can choose to get a version that has full search options. This allows you to search all pdf documents within a single windows folder. This is great since DS has multiple manuals, you can do a search for a text string and find its occurance in multiple manuals at once, and hyperlinked too! Usually the search comes back pretty fast too.
Byron Paul
WARNING: DO NOT OPERATE DATASTAGE WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION.

"Strange things are afoot in the reject links" - from Bill & Ted's DataStage Adventure