Concatenate Parameters in Job sequencer Job Activity

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Mat01
Premium Member
Premium Member

Concatenate Parameters in Job sequencer Job Activity

Post by Mat01 »

Hi All,

I wrote a job that will be called by other processes sequencers to perform a common functionality. One of my parameters is the input file name. In many of our processes, this parameter is actually built from other params (like #name#_#source#_#date#.dat). I am trying to pass to my job this name as one parameter. Problem is that I cannot find a way to concatenate the parameters as one when I fill the job activity parameters list in the sequencer stage. Anybody know how this could be done?

Thanks

Mat
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You can't - at least not there as it only accepts a single parameter. :?

If I'm following what you need to do, you could write a routine that takes multiple parameters and concatenates their values together, passing the result out. The output from this routine could then be used in the Job Activity's parameter list.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Mat01
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mat01 »

Thanks for your reply. I could probably do that but that means I would have to add another step to my sequencer to call the routine, no?

Regards,

Mat
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Yes, you will need an extra stage. Many of these fiddly restrictions on sequence jobs are fixed up in 7.5.
Mat01
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mat01 »

Okay, thank you very much for your answers. Out of curiosity, do you know when the next version will be released?

Regards,

Mat
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I think it was two weeks ago! There is an announcement of 7.5 and details of new functionality over on Ascential devnet. You should check it out. I think it also contains a summary of new features in version 7.0 and 7.1. You're moving from version 6, you'll get cut and paste of stages, hanging links, automated restart in sequence jobs etc.
Mat01
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mat01 »

Wow, don't make we dream too much. I have been working on 6.x for almost 2 years now. hopefully, my next project will upgrade.

Thanks much
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Time to upgrade, man! :wink: Much goodness awaits, especially in the Sequencer job arena. And cut-and-paste in Designer! And hanging links! And it's pretty darn painless to upgrade.

Join us...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers