Command Stage COMMAND.OUT is not giving expected result

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ahmediftikhar
Participant

Command Stage COMMAND.OUT is not giving expected result

Post by ahmediftikhar »

Hi

As per the help in Command Stage, if i select "Output to link" option in Output General tab, it should send the output from the command (OS Command or BASIC Command) as the second column on the output link. This COMMAND.OUTPUT column holds the output of the command execution.

I gave a simple echo test command to execute, but nothing is being written in the output. Can anyone let me know why this is happening?

Thanks & Regards,
Ahmed.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Can you be more precise about the actual version number of DataStage for this question please?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ahmediftikhar
Participant

Post by ahmediftikhar »

I'm using 7.1r1

Thanks
Ahmed
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

Ahmed,

This probably isn't going to help, but try something other than test, say "echo hello" instead. This may help.

Tony
Stef
Participant

Post by Stef »

Hi Ahmed,

I am just starting with DS but I gave this one a shot to experiment too.

I just tested it on 7.5 on a w2k machine with OS cmd echo. either test or hello string are output to the log but not to an output file. The file has an empty string as the data content, the first field contain a 0 confirming that the command executed ok. OS exec is required otherwise using TCL we receive I also tested that echo was on by default by opening a dos window and typing echo hello or echo "hello" both hello and "hello" were echoed.I tried sttting on and off the 'disabble echo to log' option to see if there was impact on the output link and there was none.
I scrutinized both the online help and the Technical bulletin on the command stage and saw nothing to explain this.

I also noticed the 'output to file' option located on the stage general tab and specified a file for the output (in addition to the sequential file where my output link is going to) then the output from my echo command (that is only commandOUT and not the commandRTN) is going to that file. may be that could workaround the problem ?!

Hope this can help
Stef
Participant

Post by Stef »

Hi, I just realize i may not have clear enough.
when I say echo output go to THAT file I mean the file specified i the 'ouput to file' field there is still no impact on the output link.
Sorry! :cry:
ahmediftikhar
Participant

Post by ahmediftikhar »

Hi Stef,

Thanks for giving a try.
I tried more than enough to get this resolved, but :(
Any help from anyone will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ahmed.
Stef
Participant

Post by Stef »

I just open a new case on Ascential support site. We'll see what they have to say.
Stef
Participant

Post by Stef »

Hello,

Problem has been finally reproduced at Ascential and they have opened an ECase (#59168).

The guy is asking me which priority to assign. I am not familiar with there process. What do you suggest ?

I guess we'll have to live with this for a while....

Stephane.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Priority is a number from 1 to 4 (used to be 1 to 5). Priority 1 is critical, site down, costing megabucks. Please be honest about these, as your way of being nice to the rest of the Ascential client community.

Ask the support person to explain the exact meanings of the others.

If you can find a workaround, don't tell them, but don't set too high a priority, maybe 3.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ahmediftikhar
Participant

Post by ahmediftikhar »

Thanks Stef for your effort. Please give an update if this gets resolved.

As Ray suggested correctly, please give the priority as 3.

Thanks & Regards,
Ahmed.