Aggregator Stage: Server vs. Mainframe

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

EJRoufs
Participant

Aggregator Stage: Server vs. Mainframe

Post by EJRoufs »

From what i remember of using a similar summarization stage on the Mainframe version of DataStage, it was much quicker, easier, and intuitive then the Server version Aggregator Stage. Does anyone know if there are any plans on incorporating some of that into the Server version at some point?
Eric
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

Well Ray must be knowing this. But my answers is not in immediate new version of datastage. Doing Aggregation in datastage Server depends on the volume of records you have as well if sorted you get the max performance. For smaller number of records you can use this stage and I normally use a staging table if the volume of records is high.

Thanks
Siva
EJRoufs
Participant

Post by EJRoufs »

rasi wrote:Well Ray must be knowing this. But my answers is not in immediate new version of datastage. Doing Aggregation in datastage Server depends on the volume of records you have as well if sorted you get the max performance. For smaller number of records you can use this stage and I normally use a staging table if the volume of records is high.

Thanks
Siva
Actually, i was wondering more about how the stage itself "looks and feels", not necessarily how efficient it runs behind the scene. The Mainframe DataStage version has a Summarization/Aggregator stage that is more point/click/drag type setup, while the Server version seems to involve a LOT more typing in of what you want derived where. I guess my question was more along the lines of if anybody knows if they're planning on putting something easier to use in the Server version as well, similar to what is already in the Mainframe version.
Eric
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Probably better to post something like this over on ADN where Ascential folks will have a better chance of seeing it. And I agree - it would be nice to make the Aggregator just a wee bit easier to use. When you have a large number of columns, it can be quite the PITA to setup. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Denies Knowledge of Future Plans

Post by ray.wurlod »

Just to set the record straight, I am not, and never have been, an employee of Ascential.

On this basis it is unreasonable to expect that I am privy to their plans, other than those that they publish ("roadmaps"). All of you have access to these; I take the trouble to study them.

I did work for VMARK, then Ardent, then Informix. However, at the time of the split I was sold along with the databases to IBM, due to my expertise with the Red Brick Warehouse and (U2) UniVerse databases.

For the past two years I have been self-employed (and fully employed!), after IBM went through a phase of reducing headcount.

While I continue to include many Ascential employees in my group of personal friends, I do not abuse that friendship by taking "back door" approaches. Well, not often, anyway, and then mainly for UniVerse, since Ascential owns some of the ex-UniVerse engineers with the deepest knowledge of that database.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
EJRoufs
Participant

Re: Denies Knowledge of Future Plans

Post by EJRoufs »

ray.wurlod wrote:Just to set the record straight, I am not, and never have been, an employee of Ascential.

While I continue to include many Ascential employees in my group of personal friends, I do not abuse that friendship by taking "back door" approaches. Well, not often, anyway, and then mainly for UniVerse, since Ascential owns some of the ex-UniVerse engineers with the deepest knowledge of that database.

No prob! I had no expectations of anyone taking any "back doors". Was just thinking some of the well-versed people out here must either work for Ascential, or have close ties with them. At my company, we seem to always be a little behind (or maybe a lot), so i was just wondering what's up and coming that i may not know about yet.... whether it be common knowledge to anyone else or not. :>
Eric