ODBC DSN setup

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Bhusan
Premium Member
Premium Member

ODBC DSN setup

Post by Bhusan »

I will appreciate for the following information.

I just created a DSN (Data Source Name) for ODBC connection to SQL Server daatabase. Now I want to see the tables that exist in the database and import the metadata for some of the tables.

However, in the import Metadata (ODBC) screen I dont see the DSN just created in the dropdown box.

How do I see the tables?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

First check your DSN in the odbc connectivity from the control panel. If you had configured properly there then you will be able to import the meta data in Datastage using ODBC.

Thanks
Siva
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Have you made an entry in the uvodbc.config file (in the project directory) of the following form?

Code: Select all

<MyDatabaseServer>
DBMSTYPE = ODBC
The space either side of "=" is mandatory.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Bhusan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Bhusan »

ray.wurlod wrote:Have you made an entry in the uvodbc.config file (in the project directory) of the following form?

Code: Select all

<MyDatabaseServer>
DBMSTYPE = ODBC
The space either side of "=" is mandatory.
Thanks Ray. I have not made any changes to uvodbc.config yet. Do I also have to modify odbc.ini file?

Bhusan
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes, you also need to define the DSN in .odbc.ini; I assumed that you had done that when you claimed to have "created a data source name".

How DID you "create a data source name" on a UNIX machine if you didn't edit .odbc.ini? :?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You are trying to configure ODBC access from DataStage to SQL Server.

DataStage is running on UNIX (according to your original post).
There is NO Control Panel for UNIX !
So it all has to be done with ini files and the like (just like ancient versions of Windows!).

The DataStage engine is the client. The DSN must be set up on the client's machine.

Setting up a DSN on the Windows machine where SQL Server is running only allows Windows clients from that machine to access SQL Server; it is no help at all for remote clients (whether on Windows or UNIX).

I hope this is now clearer.

The automatic behaviour you describe relates to uvodbc.config, not to .odbc.ini. You must always manually edit the .odbc.ini file on UNIX.
Bhusan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Thank you.

Post by Bhusan »

ray.wurlod wrote:You are trying to configure ODBC access from DataStage to SQL Server.

DataStage is running on UNIX (according to your original post).
There is NO Control Panel for UNIX !
So it all has to be done with ini files and the like (just like ancient versions of Windows!).

The DataStage engine is the client. The DSN must be set up on the client's machine.

Setting up a DSN on the Windows machine where SQL Server is running only allows Windows clients from that machine to access SQL Server; it is no help at all for remote clients (whether on Windows or UNIX).

I hope this is now clearer.

The automatic behaviour you describe relates to uvodbc.config, not to .odbc.ini. You must always manually edit the .odbc.ini file on UNIX.
I had created in Windows. After I read your reply I went through the DS manuals and got my answer fully. I thank you very much and appreciate your help.