Binary Zeros

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

fridge
Premium Member
Premium Member

Binary Zeros

Post by fridge »

I want to read a binary zero out to a flat file and am having problems.

Does anyone have any information on how to approach this?

Thanks.
mleroux
Participant

Post by mleroux »

Use some stages and links.
Morney le Roux

There are only 10 kinds of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
fridge
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by fridge »

Suprisingly enough I have tried this! I have a field that when it is a particular value I need to set it to a binary zero and pass it to a flat feed. In DS it appears that @NULL is not a binary zero and when I try to use MY/MB type functions to achieve a binary zero it does not work.
mleroux
Participant

Post by mleroux »

OK, good! I really don't do well without specifics. :wink: I tried the following:

Code: Select all

Oconv("0", "MB0C")
And it seemed to work fine. The output for zero in binary (ASCII encoding) was 00110000, which is correct (try Alt+048, it'll give you a 0).
Morney le Roux

There are only 10 kinds of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
fridge
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by fridge »

Thanks for the response - your solution returns an ascii '0' whereas I need to be able to return not 0011 0000 but 0000 0000!

Any ideas?
ogmios
Participant

Post by ogmios »

To my knowledge it's impossible with DataStage... It's a lack in 99% of all applications on UNIX. NUL or 0x00 is the end of a string in the C library and most application that use standard string functionality will cut off a string at that.

What reason do you have to write NUL to a file?

Ogmios.
ketfos
Participant

Post by ketfos »

Hi,
If the idea is to write null value, use datastage system variable @null.

Ketfos
fridge
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by fridge »

Thanks for the help Ogmios/Ketfos.

The reason why I need to write a binary zero to a file is because I was intersted in converting a value to pack decimal. My code will work for any value unless one or more bytes contains a binary zero/null.

So for example the value 6476 packed returns the correct Acii chars dv with 64 the hex value of ascii d and 76 the hex of ascii v but the conversion of the value 4000 grinds to a halt. The '40' byte converts okay to ascii @ but every time I hit a null byte (00 in hex) the process fails.