Folder Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

suma
Participant

Folder Stage

Post by suma »

Whenever i use a Folder stage to get the path of the source file i am
getting an error like
DSD.UVOpen Unable to open folder C:\.
DSD.UVOpen Unable to open folder C:\.|
Can any one tell me what is the reason for the same.

And one more thing When is it advisable to go for a folder stage?
amitdurve
Participant

Post by amitdurve »

Check the path of the folder.
Folder stage is used when you have a directory that has been identified, where source files with perhaps a pre decided extension (maybe some thing like ".csv") will be used.
This makes life simpler as you dont have to know the name of the file that has to be processed.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I agree.
You are on UNIX, but getting a Windows pathname in the error message. This strongly suggests that a default value is being used for the folder's pathname.
If you're loading the folder name from a job parameter, check (in the log, in the "job start" event) that the parameter value has been correctly set.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
suma
Participant

Post by suma »

I am facing the problem only if i am using the path as C:\
If i give the path like C:\Foldername It works fine. Is there any thump rule that we should not the path as C:\ or D:\
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

So, you're on Windows after all!

I'm not aware of any restriction on using C:\, although it's never a good idea to write things into the root of a file system, in case it becomes full.

What happens of you use C:\. (with a "current directory" dot as the final piece of the pathname)?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well, the only 'restriction' I am aware of is the fact that the root directory of any drive is the only one with a limit to the number of entries it can contain. Don't recall the actual number, and this may be a thing of the past, but it certainly was an issue Back In The Day. :wink:

Besides, as Ray mentions - if it hurts when you do something, don't do it!
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
crouse
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by crouse »

Just a stab...

The FOLDER stage barfs (technical term) if the folder it is looking at has folders in it.

You can only use the FOLDER stage on folders that contain only files, no other folders.

Does that help any?

-Craig
Craig Rouse
Griffin Resouces, Inc
www.griffinresources.com
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
I do believe seeing this restriction in the manuals when I last looked (was long ago) if my memory serves me it specifically states not to use on directories containing directories.
besides usually it has a limit on max file size depending on your config, theese limitations are more then enough for me to always use alternative solutions and avoid using this stage.
there are posts here on how to get the same functionality using basic vie openpath, another way is to issue a dir command and redirect the output to a seq file which is easy to handle using a regular sequential file stage.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org