Import Data with FixedWidth Column

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kate_gkl
Participant

Import Data with FixedWidth Column

Post by kate_gkl »

Hi all.

May I know what is the way of importing data with fixed-width column?

I would like to check out the way to import the meta data with fixed-width column option.

Hope can get some ideas from all of you. Thanks very much in advance.

Cheers~ :D
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Assuming you're using the Import utility within Manager, there are three steps. Step 1 is to identify the file. Step 2 is to specify its format. Step 3 is to name the columns, add descriptions, data elements and correct the "best guess" data types that the Import utility has applied.

It's in Step 2 that you have to specify fixed width (there's a check box). This enables the column width control, in which you place a column-separated list of column widths. Note that there's no way to use start position in this scheme. If relevant, you can also specify the number of spaces between columns, though this must be constant across the row.

Keep clicking Preview until your widths seem right.

If it later turns out that you didn't get it quite right, the column widths for fixed-width format are stored as the "display width" in the Columns grid, so you can correct them there.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.