installation of DataStage 7.1 on Windows PC

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

eoyylo
Participant

installation of DataStage 7.1 on Windows PC

Post by eoyylo »

Hi,
is it possible to install Datastage 7.1 server, director, manager and designer in a pc without unistall DataStage 5.2?

I' d like to have both version in the same pc.

thanks in advance

Regards

Mario
mleroux
Participant

Post by mleroux »

You may not be able to, because of the NT services that make up the DataStage server.

How about trying to install DS 5.2 and 7.1 on two seperate virtual machines? You can download VMWare Workstation and see if that works for you.
Morney le Roux

There are only 10 kinds of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
datastage
Participant

Post by datastage »

I've heard that Morney le Roux's recommendation works, although I wouldn't want to mess with it. The easier part is running 2 versions of client on the same machine with 1 server. There is no natural way to run 2 versions of DS Server on an NT machine, although to be technical there probably is a way with much work and modifications to do it.
Byron Paul
WARNING: DO NOT OPERATE DATASTAGE WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION.

"Strange things are afoot in the reject links" - from Bill & Ted's DataStage Adventure
mleroux
Participant

Post by mleroux »

Virtual machine software like VMWare is pretty powerful, yet quite easy to work with. These fancy things aren't the minefields they used to be.

Another nice thing is that one can share resources (such as files and databases of course! :) ) between virtual machines, making it easy to test the same thing on two different versions of DataStage.

As Byron said, the most straightforward and easy way is to do different version clients to one server. But if you really want to test different server versions, go for seperate machines or virtual machines. I don't think it's worth tampering with the registry etc. until you get two server versions running on one box.
Morney le Roux

There are only 10 kinds of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't.