DSJ.JOBSTATUS

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

datastage
Participant

DSJ.JOBSTATUS

Post by datastage »

I'm seeing conflicting information in my Server Job Developer's Guide and the compiled help module for DataStage Designer.

The pdf document says DSJS.RESET, DSJS.RUNFAILED, and DSJS.RUNNING are statuses for 'a job that is in progress'. It says DSJS.RUNOK, DSJS.RUNWARN, DSJS.STOPPED, DSJS.VALFAILED, DSJS.VALOK, DSJS.VALWARN are statuses for 'jobs that are not running'.

The compiled help doesn't have the DSJS.RESET and DSJS.RUNFAILED as jobs that are running, so can I assume this is just a mistake in the Server Job Developer's Guide? I'm curious if there is any reason why a Reset or Failed job would have any differences from the other stopped statuses that would affect coding with thoses statuses.

Thanks,
Byron Paul
WARNING: DO NOT OPERATE DATASTAGE WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION.

"Strange things are afoot in the reject links" - from Bill & Ted's DataStage Adventure
datastage
Participant

Post by datastage »

Also,

how, with the DSJS statuses, do you differentiate between a sequencer that is 'Aborted' versus 'Aborted/Restartable' when using checkpoints?

Thanks,
Byron Paul
WARNING: DO NOT OPERATE DATASTAGE WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION.

"Strange things are afoot in the reject links" - from Bill & Ted's DataStage Adventure
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The pdf document says DSJS.RESET, DSJS.RUNFAILED, and DSJS.RUNNING are statuses for 'a job that is in progress'. It says DSJS.RUNOK, DSJS.RUNWARN, DSJS.STOPPED, DSJS.VALFAILED, DSJS.VALOK, DSJS.VALWARN are statuses for 'jobs that are not running'.
That's just wrong. The only status that a job that is in progress can have is DSJS.RUNNING.
DSJS.FAILED shows as "Aborted" in Director status view, DSJS.RESET shows as "Has been reset". While a job is running, whether in normal, validate or being reset mode, its status is DSJS.RUNNING.
I suspect that the manual was trying to differentiate between status values that warrant a reset and those that don't, but it didn't do a good job of that either.

I don't know, off the top of my head, the answer to the checkpoints question. Is there anything useful in the online help for DSGetJobInfo()?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.