Determining DataStage Version.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Athorne
Participant

Determining DataStage Version.

Post by Athorne »

I'm probably the only person with this issue, but I need to find out what release of DataStage I'm on. I know that sounds very silly, but being a PeopleSoft Ascential user, we get our software through them. The last version we got from them was 7.1 and I need to verify what the version is. I know with products like Tivoli there is a patch.info file that gives version and patch release information. What is the best way to determine the version of DataStage. I though the engine release that shows up doing uv -admin -info was an accurate view, but I'm told the version we are on is 7.1 even though the engine release shows 7.0.1.1r2. Just looking to find a reliable way to determine my overall DataStage version. Thanks,

Andy
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You should be able to simply do a 'Help / About' from any of the client tools nowdays, I would think. What does that show for you?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Athorne
Participant

Post by Athorne »

Yup it's showing server version 7.1. So I'm led to believe if there is a 7.1r1 and I get that software from PeopleSoft and install it, I should see Server 7.1r1 displayed there. Thanks for the tip.

Andy
s_boyapati
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by s_boyapati »

7.1 is the release version(they print on installation CDs and in discussions) is same as 7.0.1.1r2. When you request server using the command "uv -admin -info" you will see " 7.0.1.1r2" as version name( Actual build name given by Ascential release system). I am also using the same version. Don't worry you can say that you are using 7.1

Sree Boyapati
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I really don't think that's true. :? I have (according to the cdroms) 7.0.1 installed and the -info command shows 7.0.1.1r2 for the actual release. I've got 7.1 sitting in a drawer (never installed) and 7.5 off to my cyber center for installation on my test server.

Help/About shows "Server version 7.0.1". 7.1 is a different minor release up from any variant of 7.0.xxx.
-craig

datastage
Participant

Post by datastage »

Ascential has started to include a detailed text document called dsbuildinfo.txt. On the CD it should be stored at the root directory. On NT server installs it is stored in the Ascential\DataStage\Engine directory. For Unix installs checkk dsebuildinfo.txt in the /Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine directory to get the server version number. This file also exists on the NT side. I don't think the dsbuildinfo.txt file is copied to UNIX and not sure if it is on the UNIX cd either.

I think this started on 7.0 platform. Maybe 7.1, I don't think this file exists on 6.x. Its a pretty helpful file to get version info in one place.

Example of the provided information:

DataStage Build Information
---------------------------

Build Description
-----------------
GA

Server Section
--------------
Ascential Build Date - Tue Jan 27 12:15:21 2004
Build Platform - WINNT
Build Version - "7.1.0.8"

DSEngine Section
----------------
Build Version - 7.0.1.1r2
Ascential Build Date - Thu Dec 04 18:01:56 2003

ODBC Section
------------
DataDirect Release - 4.2
DataDirect Version - 19
Release Date - 06 Oct 2003
Ascential Build Number - 9
Ascential Build Date - 10 Oct 2003
Ascential Ecase Number - N/A
Ascential Crit Number - 15004722
DataDirect case Number - 15007609
DataDirect Patch Number - 0016U
DataDirect Patch Number - 0016U

WebServices Section
-------------------
Ascential Build Date - 7 Jan 2004 10:52 EST

Intelligent Assistants Section
------------------------------

Build Version - 7.0.14.1
Ascential Build Date - Mo December 8 4:45:00 2003

Version Control Section
-----------------------

Build Version - 7.0.18
Ascential Build Date - Tue July 29 20:00:00 2003
Byron Paul
WARNING: DO NOT OPERATE DATASTAGE WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION.

"Strange things are afoot in the reject links" - from Bill & Ted's DataStage Adventure
datastage
Participant

Post by datastage »

In re-reading the thread and looking at the copy/paste of the dsbuildinfo file, you'll see that the DSEngine version (7.0.1.1r2) can be on a different level than the DataStage version (7.1.0.8), thus the confusion as to whether to call your release 7.0 or 7.1. It seems like they've aligned the Client version with the Server version. In the past you could have have a different client and server version numbers, I think now the client and server version number is one and the same, and the underlying engine has its own number.
Byron Paul

"Strange things are afoot in the reject links" - from Bill & Ted's DataStage Adventure
datastage
Participant

Post by datastage »

since when did a smiley with sunglasses become more important than the number 8?

7.0.1.8 is the version...
Byron Paul

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Hmm... I see the difference - the build of the 'Engine' versus the 'Server'.

The UNIX "dsebuildinfo.txt" file is pretty sparse, simply saying:

Code: Select all

7.0.1.1r2
Mon Dec  8 11:04:10 2003
for my Engine on my system. Be nice if I could find the comprehensive build information like you posted...
-craig

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Actually, it's an 8 immediately followed by a right paren. :wink:

It always turns it into the 'cooler' version unless you disable smileys. 8)
-craig

Athorne
Participant

Post by Athorne »

I got the same thing in my dsebuildinfo.txt file. Just two lines.

7.0.1.1r2
Mon Dec 8 11:06:09 2003
datastage
Participant

Post by datastage »

ah. found dsbuildinfo on the UNIX install. Under the DSEngine directory, except it is listed as a hidden file and is named .dsbuildinfo
Byron Paul

Athorne
Participant

Post by Athorne »

Good call! I'm glad you posted that, I gave up hope on finding the build information on the Unix server side. =)

Andy
battaliou
Participant

Post by battaliou »

Inside the datastage administrator, in any project, execute the following command:

Code: Select all

CT VOC RELLEVEL
This will give you your release level.
3NF: Every non-key attribute must provide a fact about the key, the whole key, and nothing but the key. So help me Codd.