Data through Aggregator - not passed immediately

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

avenki77
Participant

Data through Aggregator - not passed immediately

Post by avenki77 »

I am using an aggregator followed by a transformer in my job. The transformer passes on many rows to the aggregator but the aggregator keeps on accumulating the rows without passing even one row out of it.

The input rows to the aggregator are sorted (for eg. sorted in asc. order on col. A and in desc. order on col. B). I have specified this in the sort order in the 'Inputs' of the aggregator also. I thought the purpose of specifying this order in aggregator is to let that 'set' or 'group' of rows out of it and and process the next set. Is it so, or otherwise?

What should I do to make the aggregator also keep on processing the incoming rows?

Thanks in advance!
Venkatesh
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes, you've got it right... that's exactly what the 'sort' option is for. Plus you seem to understand the fact that you are not asking for it to be sorted, you are asserting the sort order that the Aggregator will see the data coming in with.

If you have the sort option checked off and it didn't match what the stage actually saw, your job would abort with a 'row out of sequence' error. Since you are not seeing that and it is holding on to all rows before outputting anything, I'd say that your sort order doesn't fully support the aggregation you are doing. If it did, you would be seeing rows being output on a sort break. Are you doing anything other than grouping, using 'Last' for instance? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

:idea: Tip

Just in case you can't figure it out, you clear a sort assertion in the Aggregator stage by setting the sort order to 0. (You can't just delete it.)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pramod_au
Participant

Re: Data through Aggregator - not passed immediately

Post by pramod_au »

Hi
One good practice in DS Server job design is to sort the data and perform all the aggregation operations in ODBC Stage itself.

Thanks
Pramod
Thanks
Pramod