OCI8

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ariear
Participant

OCI8

Post by ariear »

Hi all,
Anyone tried connecting to VAX/RDB with OCIx Stage ? Tried importing metadata using OCIx ? What about ODBC ?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I don't believe you'll have much luck connecting to anything other than Oracle via OCI, but then I'm not familiar with VAX/RDB and have been surprised before. And you *do* need to have an Oracle client installed on your DS server before you can use OCI. [:D]

Again, connecting to an Oracle database you can certainly import metadata from it via OCI. You do that via "Plugin Metadata" in the Manager. Are you having problems doing so?

ODBC I don't have the pleasure of needing, so can't really help you there. I would imagine, however, that if it is properly setup you shouldn't have any issues importing metadata that way as well.

-craig
ariear
Participant

Post by ariear »

Thanks Craig,
I'm quite familiar with net8 and DataStage and I think that you have only to put an appropriate entry in the tnsnames for RDB. I'm looking for some confimation about it .
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I think you need to install SQL*Net for RDB on your VMS which gives Oracle OCI applications access to the RDB database.

There is also an ODBC and JDBC driver for RDB:
http://otn.oracle.com/products/rdb/htdo ... ntent.html

You've also got the Oracle gateway from RDB which translates Oracle SQL into RDB SQL, this lets you do distributed queries between RDB and Oracle databases:
http://technet.oracle.com/products/orac ... rdbv41.pdf

Vincent McBurney
Data Integration Services
www.intramatix.com
datastage
Participant

Post by datastage »

I'm currently go through this configuration. With the Oracle RDB driver version 3.1.0 we can select data from RDB 6 (not sure if it is 6.0 or 6.1 or whatever), but we get an error in importing metadata :( I don't have the error message in front of me, but I think it was a 'metageta error' dealing with some problem relating to foreign keys.

If anyone else has more info on connectivity to RDB let me know, I'll also try to post more info if we get it working.

Thanks
Byron Paul
WARNING: DO NOT OPERATE DATASTAGE WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION.

"Strange things are afoot in the reject links" - from Bill & Ted's DataStage Adventure
datastage
Participant

Post by datastage »

still had troubles with Oracle's driver for RDB 6. When all else fails, go to HPUX. We're early in our project and will make use of RDB's utility to create flat file extracts as well as a 3rd party driver (Attunity) running on Unix.

I think most DS developers prefer DataStage on Unix right? I tend to only aborate Unix systems and people in their organization.like NT and recommend NT for smaller enterprises that have grown up in a Microsoft world and don't have as elaborate systems and Unix developers
Byron Paul
WARNING: DO NOT OPERATE DATASTAGE WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION.

"Strange things are afoot in the reject links" - from Bill & Ted's DataStage Adventure