Naming convention

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kommven
Charter Member
Charter Member

Naming convention

Post by kommven »

Hello I am working for a corporate company and I am developing DS jobs. I would like to discuss the naming convention used with you guys.

Please help

Lucky
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

You can create your own Naming standard to your business and put it in a document so that everyone who develops the job follows the standard. To start from you can have the project name(devt/test/prod), Job Category (Based on your groups), Job Names, Parameters (working directory/hash dir/database name/userid/password etc).

Make sure that all your source file is in one path and your hash file and staging files are separeated for easy maintenance. This will give you a pretty start to create your document.

Thanks
Siva
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Here are a few options:

Make link names and/or stage names the same as the table or file.
Use some kind of abbreviation for each stage type Oci or Hash or Seq.
Job name Examples:

ExtractAcct - source data
BuildAcctDimHash - build hash lookup
LoadAcctDim - load target table ACCT_DIM
AcctDimSeq - Sequence job to run all the above

Lots of people use Lkp for Lookup links. Aggr is used for jobs with aggregator stage.

The idea is to be consistant. The job folder should reflect the target table or say something about where this data is going. I posted routines to have standard long descriptions in jobs and routines. You can download them from my tips page. Most of us use upper and lower case names without any special characters.

If you need more ideas then let us know.
Mamu Kim
kommven
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kommven »

I appreciate your nice guidance. I have got a picture of what I should do...

Great

have a nice weekend

Lucky