Strange behaviour of uvodbc.config file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

adrian
Participant

Strange behaviour of uvodbc.config file

Post by adrian »

Hi all,

I recently set up a DataStage 7 server on AIX.
To connect via ODBC to some datasources, I modified both the .odbc.ini and uvodbc.config files located in DSHOME, and delete the uvodbc.config files from the individual projects directories. (that's because I want to have a single location for the configuration)
However, after a while I noticed that the uvodbc.config file appeared again in the project directory of one project we are currently working on.
It's this normal? And if yes, what should I change to stop this file to be generated?
This is a really pain, because if I want to add more sources later, I will add them in the uvodbc.config located in DSHOME, and the DataStage client will read the sources from the project directory.
lebos
Participant

Post by lebos »

This seems to be normal behavior. Quoting from the Install Manual for Version 7.1:

A copy of the uvodbc.config file is also placed in each DataStage project
directory (for example, /ui/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/Projects/Dstage1).
This is useful where you configure a data source that is known to some
projects but not others. By default, DataStage searches the current project
directory for a uvodbc.config file and, if it finds one, uses this in preference
to the file in $DSHOME. If you alter uvodbc.config after creating projects
you should copy the edited file to the project directories

I agree with you that is not what should happen. I'm not sure, but it seems like this acted differently in earlier releases.

Larry
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Any time you import an ODBC table definition DataStage "updates" - and therefore re-creates if necessary - the uvodbc.config file in the project.
There is no configurable option to suppress this behaviour. :cry:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
inter5566
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by inter5566 »

One way around this is to create a symbloic link between the project(s) uvodbc.config and the DSHOME uvodbc.config. i.e. on HP-UX 11 (make sure you backup the existing project uvodbc.config file :wink: )

ln -s ~/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/uvodbc.config uvodbc.config

Execute this from within the individual project directories. The only condition to be aware of is that both the DSHOME and projects directories need to be on the same mount point(this may be system dependent).

As a side note, if you decide to go this route of symbolic links then you may want to create the link in the ~/Ascential/DataStage/Template directory as well. This will cause the link to be the default in new projects.

HTH,
Steve