Version Control 7.0.22

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rasi
Participant

Version Control 7.0.22

Post by rasi »

Hi

When trying to use the Named Batch in the version control it closes the application. I had tried many times as well as reinstalling the client. Want to know have anyone faced the same problem with Version Control.

Thanks
Rasi
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
I currently use 7.0.1 and VC works fine for me including named batches.
this sounds like a client issue or a bug.
try to check if this occurrs in another PC.
try reinstalling and if this doesn't work contact Ascential (they'll probably say upgrade to the latest release though).

Good Luck,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

In the same boat with Roy - 7.0.1 and no problems with Named Batches. Report it as a bug and let us know what comes of it.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

Thanks for the replies. I tried in another pc with same configuration also tried reinstalling the client software. Still same problem. I too agree with you both. It seems to be like a bug in the client. I had reported to Ascential. Will update about the outcome from the ascential support.

Thanks
Rasi
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

The main problem I found with 7.x version control is if you try to create a release that does not have dependent components included. Eg. initialising a job without the table definitions and routines that job uses. This frequently resulted in run-time errors during the promotion stage.
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

One more thing which I had forgotten to mention was that we use two clients one for 5.2 and another one for 7.1 .

Cheers
Rasi
datastage
Participant

Post by datastage »

Can we assume then you are using the client switcher? I believe on 7.1 and prior this is an unsupported tool. Check readmes and ASCL to be sure. I also believe on 7.5 there is a supported program called Multi Client Manager.

Version Control uses the client dlls and your issue could possibly stem from use of client switcher.

Also, you said VC shuts down. Does it do a shutdown without any error messages or did you just not quote the error message here?

Thanks
Byron Paul
WARNING: DO NOT OPERATE DATASTAGE WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION.

"Strange things are afoot in the reject links" - from Bill & Ted's DataStage Adventure
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

As you mentioned it is possible becos of client switcher the VC behaves strange. I haven't got the answer from Ascential yet. The version control complely shutdowns without any error messages. It doesn't even say it's going to close the application

Thanks
Siva
bryan
Participant

Post by bryan »

Hi

Currently we have 7.1 and 7.5, so we have multiclient manager installed.

We facing problem with Version Control. Cant open the application.

Rasi - Did Ascential got back to you on this? I guess u had the same problem.

Any experiences like this?
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

Bryan

We haven't got any feedback from Ascential and we never chased them for it to be honest. We fully migrated from Version 5 to Version 7 and after that I haven't faced those problem with Version Contol. Explain me your problem in detail so that I can try to help you.

Thanks
Regards
Siva

Listening to the Learned

"The most precious wealth is the wealth acquired by the ear Indeed, of all wealth that wealth is the crown." - Thirukural By Thiruvalluvar
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

bryan wrote:Currently we have 7.1 and 7.5, so we have multiclient manager installed. We facing problem with Version Control. Cant open the application.
I don't recall if the MCM works with Version Control. :?

Did you install the two different versions of VC into two different locations or only have one version installed? Does one work and the other not or does neither the 7.1 nor the 7.5 version work right now?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers