Partitioning Algorithms (Pros and Cons)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

lacabessa
Participant

Partitioning Algorithms (Pros and Cons)

Post by lacabessa »

Hi,

With Datastage server (not PX), I would like to use the link partitioner to improve the performance of some of my jobs. I know that there are 4 Partitioning algorithms available for Link Partitioner (Round Robin, Random, Hash, Modulus). I will be thankful if someone tell me what are the pros and cons of each algorithm and what are the criterias that should guide our algorithm selection.

Thanks a lot

Mohamed
shawn_ramsey
Participant

Re: Partitioning Algorithms (Pros and Cons)

Post by shawn_ramsey »

lacabessa wrote:Hi,

With Datastage server (not PX), I would like to use the link partitioner to improve the performance of some of my jobs. I know that there are 4 Partitioning algorithms available for Link Partitioner (Round Robin, Random, Hash, Modulus). I will be thankful if someone tell me what are the pros and cons of each algorithm and what are the criterias that should guide our algorithm selection.

Thanks a lot

Mohamed
We are using Round Robin. I played around with the various options ant they seemed to make no difference in the performance of the job.
Shawn Ramsey

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
-- Douglas Adams
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

Round robin is the default algorithm. For more infomation check the manual servjdev.pdf (Page 13-3)

Thanks
Rasi