Limitation of the Pivot Stage?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Limitation of the Pivot Stage?

Post by chulett »

I'm curious if anyone is aware of any limitations in the use of the Pivot stage? One of my developers who makes heavy use of it is having problems trying to pivot one row into more than 64 rows. :?

Now, don't ask me the whys or the wherefors. I'm not really sure why he needs to do what he is trying to do, but he tells me 64 works fine. Adding in the 65th field to the output derivation craters the job. And no, I don't know the exact error message. Yet. And it's probably not a coincidence that the limit seemingly is a power of two. :wink:

I'll take a closer look at the job and see about alternate approaches on Tuesday, but right now I'm just curious if anyone else has seen or heard of an issue like this.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I think we'll need someone with access to the Pivot stage's source code to be able to answer this one. There's no documented limit, but there's always a limit!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

The limit is definitely not 64 rows. One of my job had splitted 130 rows as output. So I can say that the limit is not 64 but for higher number > 130 it may apply.

Thanks
Rasi