mainframes

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

srimitta
Premium Member
Premium Member

mainframes

Post by srimitta »

Hi,
I have couple of issues, would you guys please help me.

1. We have ETL jobs develped in COBOL, How to import into DataStage.
(Apart form importing CFF , is there any other way without sacrificing
originality of the COBOL code).

2. DataStage390 generates Cobol code,Jcl file and Run file at job
compilation time and Uploaded to mainframes and will Scheduled
and will be run there.
Apart form this Process can we take DataStage390 generated Cobol
code,Jcl file and Run file and do your job outside Datastage, instead
of Uploading from Datastage.

Thanks in Advance
Srimitta
denzilsyb
Participant

Post by denzilsyb »

hi srimitta

I am only due to work on a mainframe from next week, so my reply is based on what i have read.

this should answer [2] in you post.

in the mainframe.pdf document in chpt 18, there is a check box that needs checking when uploading code. that check box is generate COPY statements for customization which allows you to customize COBOL code generated by DS.

I recommend you read 18-4 Code Customization before compiling the code.

Good luck

dnzl
dnzl
"what the thinker thinks, the prover proves" - Robert Anton Wilson
ogmios
Participant

Re: mainframes

Post by ogmios »

DataStage generates code, it's not for importing general code.

Ogmios
Klaus Schaefer
Participant

Post by Klaus Schaefer »

Srimitta,

1. You cannot "import" COBOL-Code into DS390. DS390 COBOL code is generated based on its own internal logic for designs you create. It's not a reverse code engineering tool.

2. You can upload the generated code/jcl etc. any time from outside datastage. All you have to do is identify the generated files in the generation folder you specified and then act accordingly. Be aware that jcl code is prepared during upload when using DS. There are some placeholders that get replaced. If you upload these files from "outside", these preparations are not done. However, you can easily adapt the jcl to your needs or even use your own jcl. In the latter case jcl upload might not be necessary at all.

Klaus
srimitta
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by srimitta »

Hi Klaus,
Thanks for reply

We have ETL jobs developed for DB2 on MF's, Now we are implementing Datastage MF version.
Here how we can import all those to Datastage and run.

srimitta
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is no import capability.

You can re-design the logic using DataStage, which will generate COBOL from scratch.

If your existing COBOL functionality can be packaged as a callable routine, then DataStage has the capacity, through External Routine stages, to invoke these. Both static and dynamic invocation is possible. See Chapter 22 of Mainframe Job Developer's Guide. However, the DataStage job will retain control of streaming rows of data into and out of the routine.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
srimitta
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by srimitta »

Hi Ray,

Thanks for ur reply. Iam unable to follow you, Would you please give me clear picture, it will be a great help to me.

Thankyou
srimitta
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The whole point of DataStage is to have a graphical design metaphor.
You draw a picture of what you expect to happen.

There is no facility for taking existing COBOL and magically transforming it into DataStage's graphical format.

Did you read the Chapter on the External Routine stage? It tells you that you can call existing COBOL routines on the mainframe, and shows you how to design DataStage jobs to do so.

What I suggested is that, if you have existing COBOL (for example to apply business rules), you might be able to use the External Routine stage to access that code from your DataStage 390 jobs.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Klaus Schaefer
Participant

Post by Klaus Schaefer »

Srimitta,

I suggest you attending a DS390 training or get yourself just a few days of consultancy support :-)

Klaus
srimitta
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by srimitta »

Thankyou Ray and to everyone....