lookup

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sun123
Participant

lookup

Post by sun123 »

Hi,

I am a Informatica guy, I am learning DataStage and compare with Informatica. I would like to know how a hash file works for lookup.
I have gone thru documentation, but i need some real time help.
If i have a emp table with emp id, emp name and other table with emp id and address.i would like to do a lookup on empid and i need in target emp id,empname, address.where do i need to give this condition?
can anybody help me ?

Thanks
1stpoint
Participant

lookup

Post by 1stpoint »

You need to "join" the hash file stage into the transformer and link the key columns. This is covered in the documentation.
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Hi,

Pls follow this link. It has lot of information regarding hash files.

viewtopic.php?t=85364

Great link to someone who want to know the basics about Hash Files.

Hats off to Kenneth Bland.

HTH
--Rich

PS Please search the forum before posting. This forum already has a lot of information regarding basic concepts
suma
Participant

Re: lookup

Post by suma »

I have worked both in Informatica and Datastage,It can be done very easily in Datastage. Take emp_Det table as the source and emp_address table as the look up.In the transformer stage you connect the Emp_no of the Emp_det table with Empno of the Emp_address table.Make sure that the empno of the emp_address table is a Key.Only then u can connect both the tables.Now you can Map the source and the targer.You will get the corresponding address of the paticular employee.
sun123 wrote:Hi,

I am a Informatica guy, I am learning DataStage and compare with Informatica. I would like to know how a hash file works for lookup.
I have gone thru documentation, but i need some real time help.
If i have a emp table with emp id, emp name and other table with emp id and address.i would like to do a lookup on empid and i need in target emp id,empname, address.where do i need to give this condition?
can anybody help me ?

Thanks
degraciavg
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: lookup

Post by degraciavg »

sun123 wrote:Hi,

I am a Informatica guy, .... where do i need to give this condition?

Thanks
The link given to you by Rich should be enough to explain how to create and use hash files in DataStage. What I would like to point out is the equivalent of the "Condition" tab (of Infa Lookup Transformation) in DS...

That would be the "keys" of the hash file. Just bring in your input keys with the corresponding hash file keys.

You'll find that DS hash file lookups will out-perform Infa's lookups because Infa can ONLY do database lookups! :wink:

I hope this helps....
regards,
vladimir
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

The best visible advantage of Datastage over Informatica is that in Informatica there is no facility for hash lookup.

Hash Lookup as we all know increases the job performance by 10-1000 times depending on the data.

Regards