DS_JOBS

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

SGT
Participant

DS_JOBS

Post by SGT »

When I query the Administrator
SELECT * FROM DS_JOBS

I see the columns Job Name, Description, No. and Category.

Now it allows me to use Name and Category in the where clause but how to query for the Description and No.
Also how do I set the number. Is this some internal serial number. Can I set it to some user defined number.

Thanks,
SGT
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

JOBNO is a surrogate key for the jobs. Do not set it or change it. When you create a new job it will assign a new value for that job. You can SELECT against this file and use a WHERE clause. Do not use UPDATE.

Most all the hash files which start with "DS" and most start with "DS_" are internal files for DataStage itself. There are many topics about these so do a search. DS_JOBOBJECTS is another critical file.
Mamu Kim
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

SGT,

I do not mean to sound stern but I will not answer this question since I firmly believe that you do not have any business "fiddling" with DS internal files. I am not sure where you received your training or what you have heard/learned regarding DS internal files, but you should steer clear of these and not do anything manually to modify them.

I may get an ear full from the others on this site, but I have repaired too many DS installations because of well-intentioned consultants/employees' trying to do things when they do not understand the ramifications of what they are doing.

Learning the internals of DS takes time and patience just as it does with any application.

Regards,

Michael Hester
SGT
Participant

Post by SGT »

Okay let us assume that I am not going to set anything. I just want to query and use the values in DS_JOBS.
Can somebody tell me what all are the columns in DS_JOBS and how to query them.
For example the job name has to be queried using "NAME".
Also I want to know what is this Description.No. Are these two columns or one column. Where can I get to know more on this?
Thanks,
SGT
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Only a limited subset of metadata for the columns in Repository tables is published. The remainder are deliberately suppressed; Repository tables are meant only to be accessed programmatically, after all, and programs don't need column names to do this.
Publicly-accessible columns in DS_JOBS are:
  • NAME
    READONLY
    OLETYPE
    CATEGORY
    DESC
    JOBNO
    JOBTYPE
Warning! Modifications to, even accessing, Repository objects is not supported by Ascential and may void your warranty.
No responsibility or other liability, either implied or explicit, will be taken by individuals posting advice relating to Repository objects for damage caused by misuse of that advice.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.