DataStage XE Parallel Extender V7.0.0 Architecture Document

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DSL
Participant

DataStage XE Parallel Extender V7.0.0 Architecture Document

Post by DSL »

Hi,
I am working on orchestrate. When i do the osh on command line
i am getting following

$ osh
##I TFCN 000001 10:42:48(000) <main_program>
DataStage XE Parallel Extender V7.0.0
Copyright (C) 2003, 1997 - 2002 Ascential Software, Inc.
All Rights Reserved

##I TOSH 000002 10:42:48(001) <main_program> orchgeneral: loaded
##I TOSH 000002 10:42:48(002) <main_program> orchsort: loaded
##I TOSH 000002 10:42:49(000) <main_program> orchstats: loaded

1) That means, both orchestrate and data stage use same server (DataStage XE Parallel Extender ) ?

I want to understand the Architecture of DataStage XE Parallel Extender (How it works)?

like how it spawns multiple process and how each process divides the work ?

Does anybody have any document it explains about architecture ?

I have orchestrate documents like operators, user guide, install guide etc..
and i also have DS BOOK. It's does not explains the architecture, it explains only usage (how to use orchestrate/datastage) ..

Thanks in Advance
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Ascential Software acquired Torrent Systems, and the name of Orchestrate was changed, initially as a marketing exercise, to Parallel Extender (or PX). So, yes, it's the same engine. And you can refer to your Orchestrate documentation - in some areas it's more accurate than the PX documentation.

In version 7 of DataStage the integration went a little further, but you will still note instances of osh being started when you run jobs. Other terms, such as conductor and player, seem to have been dropped out.

There is little documentation about PX architecture; work is split based on information provided in a configuration file. The two DataStage manuals you will find most useful are DataStage Manager Guide (in which there's a chapter on configuration files and their maintenance) and DataStage Enterprise Edition Parallel Job Developer's Guide (in which you will learn about specifying data partitioning with the various stage types). Both manuals can be found in the Docs folder where you have installed your DataStage client software.

In short, you are in control, and there are suitable defaults for some things.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.