Sequencer Design

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

amsh76
Charter Member
Charter Member

Sequencer Design

Post by amsh76 »

How to insert parameters automatically for the jobs, in sequncer. Here I dont want to enter parameters manually, it should happen automatically.
So do i have to design a job with that stores parameters in file ?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The sequence itself is a job and has parameters. Fill these in in the usual way, in the Parameters grid.
Then, when you're loading parameters in a Job Activity, choose Insert Parameter to select the sequence's parameter reference.
There is no "select all" for this functionality. If you can make a business case, log an enhancement request with Ascential.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

It is a pain having to put the job parameters into sequence job stages each time, they really do need an automap or automatch button as frequently the sequence job parameters have the same name as the server jobs being called. One short cut is to upgrade to version 7.x and use the cut and paste. That way you set up the job parameters for just one server job and you can endlessly copy and paste that stage and change the job name leaving job paramters intact.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Check out Parameter Manager for DataStage. This gives you the ability to store global parameters and bulk load them into jobs and sequences when and where you will.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

I wrote a routine that retrieves a parameter value from a file given the filename and parameter name. I add a routine stage to the Job Sequence job for each parameter that needs to be retrieved and set the parameter in the Job Activity stage to the return value of the appropriate routine stage. It's a little bulky to have a bunch of routine stages at the beginning of each sequencer job, but it seems to work well enough.

Tony