MS Access Source/Target

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DS4DRIVER
Premium Member
Premium Member

MS Access Source/Target

Post by DS4DRIVER »

Hi,
I would like to know about, using MS Access as the Source/Target DB. MS Access DataBases are on my Local Machine.
In DataStage, to get connectivity to MS Access Source/Target, i will be using ODBC Stage. But, i am not sure of ODBC Configuration requirements in Unix.
I need some information about ODBC Configuration for MS Access and the configuration procedures.

Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You state that DataStage is on UNIX.
The first thing you'll need is a UNIX-based ODBC driver for MS Access.
UNIX-based ODBC drivers are configured by editing an odbc.ini file.
For DataStage, you also need an entry for the DSN in the uvodbc.config file.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
AFAIK, I'm not sure the branded_odbc comes with a ms-access driver, it has in most cases oracel,sybase,sqlserver,informix perhaps more depending on the unix platform.

so if there is no ms-access driver supplied with your DS you need to get an odbc driver (if one exists or get someone to build you 1)
or check for alternative DBs if possible.
beyong that I think Ray covered the configurations you need.

(if you had a windows DS server, you simply need to configure a system dsn to get it working.)

Good Luck,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
datastage
Participant

Post by datastage »

a few years back I undertook the task of searching for an UNIX driver for MS Access. I did find one from a third-party provider after very long and painful searching on the Internet. Wasn't from ASCL, Microsoft, or another name you'd recognize.

A workaround to consider is export to a comma separated file and ftp to UNIX, and if you want to get fancy you can automate that task as well.
Byron Paul
WARNING: DO NOT OPERATE DATASTAGE WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION.

"Strange things are afoot in the reject links" - from Bill & Ted's DataStage Adventure
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

If this is a once only extract then export your Access tables to delimited files, if this is a recurring extract then consider moving your database to a more robust RBDMS such as SQL Server. An Access database sitting on a local machine is just not a good choice for maintenance, access and security reasons.