when merge stage can be used exactly?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pongal
Participant

when merge stage can be used exactly?

Post by pongal »

Hi

when i try to merge two input files(fixed length), the job is aborted with follwing warning

DataStage Job 2154 Phantom 1648
Program "DSP.Open": Line 122, Exception raised in GCI subroutine:
Access violation.
Attempting to Cleanup after ABORT raised in stage empdept..Merge_0
DataStage Phantom Aborting with @ABORT.CODE = 3

what is the meaning of above warning? :wink:

Thanks in advance
sanjay
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: when merge stage can be used exactly?

Post by sanjay »

Recompile the job

pongal wrote:Hi

when i try to merge two input files(fixed length), the job is aborted with follwing warning

DataStage Job 2154 Phantom 1648
Program "DSP.Open": Line 122, Exception raised in GCI subroutine:
Access violation.
Attempting to Cleanup after ABORT raised in stage empdept..Merge_0
DataStage Phantom Aborting with @ABORT.CODE = 3

what is the meaning of above warning? :wink:

Thanks in advance
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Your job number is 2154.
The process id that incurred the error is 1648: "Phantom" is DataStage terminology for "background process".
DSP.Open is the generic name of the "open" function used with passive plug-in stage types.
"Exception" is another word for "error" in this case, and the kind of exception is an "access violation".
GCI stands for "General Call Interface" which is the mechanism by which DataStage BASIC code can invoke C functions. DSP.Open will map onto an explicit C function that is part of the Merge stage.

From experience I'd hazard the guess that it's highly likely that there is a memory error of some kind, possibly caused by an bad value in one of the properties in the Merge stage. Did you provide a file pathname where a directory pathname is required, for example?
Access violation could also be a permissions issue, but this is less likely.

If you reset the job after it aborts, there may be additional diagnostic information in the job's log file. You can also look in the &PH& directory on your server.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pongal
Participant

Post by pongal »

Thanks Ray...
u given valuble info. that i never faced this kind of problem.
i have reset the job and corrected temporary directory path and also output column datalengths and run the job successfully. :)