# of uvsh.exe s running

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

PilotBaha
Premium Member
Premium Member

# of uvsh.exe s running

Post by PilotBaha »

Is it normal to have more uvsh.exe running than the # of jobs. We had some "hung" jobs and looking at the Win Task Manager the we see 10 uvsh.exe s even though we are running only 2 DS jobs..
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's not abnormal.

For example, a job with multiple active stages may start a separate process for each active stage, as well as the controlling process that is actually running the job.

Connected clients may also temporarily use uvsh processes, for example when compiling.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DeepakCorning »

Does it means that if i have 10 stages in one job then may haapen that for that job 10 uvsh.exe s will be called??

If yes then what are then ways to reduce it or something like that as if i want to run many job at a same time i will be loading the server with many number of exes and making it too slow.
ray.wurlod wrote:It's not abnormal.

For example, a job with multiple active stages may start a separate process for each active stage, as well as the controlling process that is actually running the job.

Connected clients may also temporarily use uvsh processes, for example when compiling.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The number of Active stages are the key here, not the total number of stages in the job. And Ray did say that they may start separate processes, it depends on your job design (amongst other things).
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DeepakCorning »

I got that chulett what I said was IT MAY happen that a job may trigger 10 exes and as u say it depends on the job design, What i like to know what are the standars or ways to reduce this means like keep the transaction size low and all.

chulett wrote:The number of Active stages are the key here, not the total number of stages in the job. And Ray did say that they may start separate processes, it depends on your job design (amongst other things).
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The number of uvsh processes has no effect whatsoever on the transaction size, which is a property in the stage that actuallky loads the database table.
The number of uvsh processes is solely a function of the number of active stages in the job and how these are connected to each other (and, perhaps, whether you are using row buffering).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.