Weird :( - 'Run Stopped' in Transformer Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

badhri
Participant

Weird :( - 'Run Stopped' in Transformer Stage

Post by badhri »

Greetings:

I get a message as below in the transformer stage. The message shows after the target load starts.

StageDWCommissionInitCit..Tr_Commission_Init: At row 2000, link "Read_Commission_Init"
Run stopped

StageDWCommissionInitCit - Job Name
Tr_Commission_Init - Transformer Name
Read_Commission_Init - Input Link.

It neither displays as Warning nor Error Message for this. This is happening for the first time in our system which was running fine for the past 1 year (at least).

I am not sure if this is attributed to some Data Volume as the system has seen similar volume in the Past. Also I don't think we had any changes to the Env Variables.

Please put in any thought you have in this regard which will help us to do further research on this. ALso let me know incase of any queries.

Thanks in advance.

badhri ...
Badhrinath Krishnamoorthy
www.cognizant.com
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The only things of which I am aware that will generate a Run Stopped message is a Stop request - either issued manually from Director, or by a call to DSStopJob or the -stop option for dsjob.
When a run stops because of a row limit, there's an event in the log to indicate that this was the cause.
Resetting the job after stopping may, but is unlikely to, provide extra information as to the cause of the stop.
You are now in search of a culprit!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
badhri
Participant

Re: Weird :( - 'Run Stopped' in Transformer Stage

Post by badhri »

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your input. We just found the next level to this.

The job sequencer which calls this job logs in the below
Mode (row/warn limits) = 2000/50.

We don;t encounter the issue when we have this logged as
Mode (row/warn limits) = 0/50

Why is that 2000 popping up?

Kindly help.

Badhri ... [/list]
www.cognizant.com
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

When the job request is made someone requested a row limit of 2000.

How was the job run request issued?
  • If from Director, the Job Run Options dialog (where you enter parameter values) has a Limits tab. Defaults can be set from Tools > Options.
    If from a job control routine, or a batch, the function DSSetLimit can be the culprit.
    If from the command line interface dsjob, the option -rows can be the culprit.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
badhri
Participant

Post by badhri »

Hi Ray,

It is a job sequencer. It had been scheduled to run daily for the past one year and we face this issue just for the past 2 weeks.

Also, when i compiled the job and ran it it picked up the Rows/Warn as 0/50. This was really weird?. Does this give you any clue.

I just checked the job sequencer job control and i don't see any DSSetLimit evoked.

Let me know your thoughts on these.

Badhri ...
www.cognizant.com
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Setting the row limit is one of those things that you can't do in a job sequence, as far as I have been able to determine, except by using the generated code as a prototype in the job control part of a server job.

So how it might have picked up 2000 is a mystery.

In Director, under Tools > Options (Limits tab) you can set poject-wide defaults for the rows and warnings limits. Check in there to see whether anyone has made the change there. Any value set there is used by a job for which the relevant limit has not been explicitly set.