Send SMS thro Datastage...

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rasi
Participant

Send SMS thro Datastage...

Post by rasi »

Hi Guys,

Does anyone tried to sms using datastage. Or is it possible to sms from Datastage.

Regards
Siva
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Pardon my ignorance, but is it really any different from sending an email? Quite a number of the messages we send out via 'email' are targeted to pagers and cell phones...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
Craig is right in case your cell provider has this capability,
if not you need some 3rd party software/hardware that you can invoke from DS jobs.

Good Luck :),
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I think Siva's seeking examples and/or names of the "third party software". FWIW he is running on AIX.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

Yes Ray

you are correct. Any info would be helpful

Regards
Rasi
ray.wurlod
Participant

Sending SMS from DataStage

Post by ray.wurlod »

chulett wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but is it really any different from sending an email? Quite a number of the messages we send out via 'email' are targeted to pagers and cell phones...
My current client would like to know how you implement this. Please?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mleroux
Participant

Post by mleroux »

If you have an e-mail-to-SMS gateway server running, you can do this (with mutt on Unix, for example):

Code: Select all

Message = "Job " : JobName : " is not in a runnable state!"
Code = "echo " : Message : " | mutt <cellphone no>@<ip address>"
Call DSExecute("UNIX", Code, Output, SystemReturnCode)
Where <cellphone no> is the destination cellphone/mobile number such and <ip address> is the e-mail-to-SMS gateway server's IP address.
Morney le Roux

There are only 10 kinds of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
mleroux
Participant

Post by mleroux »

In my previous post I didn't explain what happens from there. The gateway server receives the e-mail, and sends the message via a connected GSM hardware link such as a GPRS modem to a network operator's SMSC (Short Message Service Centre) and voila! the mobile device receives the SMS/MMS, whatever you want to make it.

Of course there are tons of guys out there that can give you this capability via a buy/ASP business model.
Morney le Roux

There are only 10 kinds of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
datastage
Participant

Post by datastage »

this is an interesting thread...thanks for the info. I do, however, need to ask when will it stop? What's next? Is it possible to make wireless alarm clocks that can receive a code via SMS that would set the alarm clock off and wake us up in the middle of the night so we can go back into work? :roll:

Data conversion is turning into a 24/7 responsibiltiy
Byron Paul
WARNING: DO NOT OPERATE DATASTAGE WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION.

"Strange things are afoot in the reject links" - from Bill & Ted's DataStage Adventure
mleroux
Participant

Post by mleroux »

Take the red pill and enter The Matrix! :twisted:
Either way we'll plug all of you in sooner or later. HA HA HA!
Morney le Roux

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Sending SMS from DataStage

Post by chulett »

ray.wurlod wrote:My current client would like to know how you implement this. Please?
Really? Morney has posted quite a bit of the gory detail, but it really just boils down to sending a short email to a text message enabled pager or cell phone.

For example, here I would simply send an email to my 10 digit phone number at my service provider, usually specifying a specific sub-domain. Something like: 3038675309@mobile.att.net for example. (um... not a real number - I hope!)
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers