UDBLoad

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nag0143
Premium Member
Premium Member

UDBLoad

Post by nag0143 »

I have to load 28 million records onto DB2 Warehouse.. i was using DB2 Plugin but its taking morethan 10 hrs to load... we got UDBLoad plugin.. but i don't have documentation to use it...can anyone help me how to set up the properties for UDBLoad plugin stage.
ogmios
Participant

Re: UDBLoad

Post by ogmios »

nag0143 wrote:I have to load 28 million records onto DB2 Warehouse.. i was using DB2 Plugin but its taking morethan 10 hrs to load... we got UDBLoad plugin.. but i don't have documentation to use it...can anyone help me how to set up the properties for UDBLoad plugin stage.
In short, don't use the UDBLoad stage. Write a job that writes is output to a sequential file and then write your own UNIX script using the db2 load utility (executing it via DataStage).

In the past I even had instances where the regular UDB plugin stage would perform faster than the UDBLoad plugin.

Ogmios
dickfong
Participant

Post by dickfong »

I have the same experience too. I am curious if this is the case for version 6 / 7. Any idea?
ogmios
Participant

Post by ogmios »

dickfong wrote:I have the same experience too. I am curious if this is the case for version 6 / 7. Any idea?
I'm currently working with version 6 and it's still the same as on version 5.

Ogmios
nag0143
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nag0143 »

ogmios wrote:
dickfong wrote:I have the same experience too. I am curious if this is the case for version 6 / 7. Any idea?
I'm currently working with version 6 and it's still the same as on version 5.

Ogmios
But can you help me set the properties , i want to try it out anyway
nag0143
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nag0143 »

[/quote]

But can you help me set the properties , i want to try it out anyway[/quote]

i am getting invalid pointer to database error... may be i don't have write permissions on the database.
ogmios
Participant

Post by ogmios »

nag0143 wrote:

i am getting invalid pointer to database error... may be i don't have write permissions on the database.
Your db2 database has to be cataloged on the system where the DataStage server is running and if your db2 database is on another server you have to play around with directories as the the plugin makes some big assumptions.

Ogmios
nag0143
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nag0143 »

ogmios wrote:
nag0143 wrote:

Your db2 database has to be cataloged on the system where the DataStage server is running and if your db2 database is on another server you have to play around with directories as the the plugin makes some big assumptions.

Ogmios
Ogmios,

yeah my db2 database is on different server... what kind of assumptions should i make in the properties of UDBLoad.

Nag
ogmios
Participant

Post by ogmios »

nag0143 wrote: Ogmios,

yeah my db2 database is on different server... what kind of assumptions should i make in the properties of UDBLoad.

Nag
If I recall correctly you have to enter a "working directory" somewhere in the stage and this directory should exist on both local and remote system (for a test only I would suggest /tmp/).

There's also a switch somewhere to do a "load from client", this should be yes (on a local system you can do db2 load, on a remote system you have to use "db2 load client").

The database should also be cataloged on the db2 instance on the server on which DataStage is running (can you access your remote instance from the command line on your datastage system?).

Ogmios
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The important thing to remember is that DataStage is just another client, as far as the database server is concerned.

What this means in practice is that you have to configure any necessary client software and connectivity just the same as if you were configuring any other database client.

There are rules for bulk loaders, too, though these differ between databases. Some will allow the data files to be remote, others will not. Some insist on the bulk loader being initiated on the same machine as the database server (in which case you may need to FTP the data file(s) to that machine), others allow remote execution.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
nag0143
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nag0143 »

[/quote]

If I recall correctly you have to enter a "working directory" somewhere in the stage and this directory should exist on both local and remote system (for a test only I would suggest /tmp/).

There's also a switch somewhere to do a "load from client", this should be yes (on a local system you can do db2 load, on a remote system you have to use "db2 load client").

The database should also be cataloged on the db2 instance on the server on which DataStage is running (can you access your remote instance from the command line on your datastage system?).

Ogmios[/quote]

I don't see a switch load from client ..i know i have that in version 6/7 but i am working with ds5.1 so... is there any other way to comearound that...
nag
Klaus Schaefer
Participant

Post by Klaus Schaefer »

The load client switch seems to be there with version 7 only. Speed? I'm currently loading 1mio rows in about 5 minutes (heavy utilized AIX machine, one processor only...)

Klaus
nag0143
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nag0143 »

hi

Then is it not possible to use udbload when db2 and datastage are on different servers as i don't have the option of using load from client in version 5.1 YES (which is available with 7.0)

Thanks
Nag
Klaus Schaefer
Participant

Post by Klaus Schaefer »

Nag,

you can still use the udbload stage and use the load deferred option. You can then start the loader from command line or unix script.

Klaus
nag0143
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nag0143 »

Klaus,

But why cannot run my job from director?? just for verfication.

Nag