Can we have Fifos in Windows ?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kiran_kom
Participant

Can we have Fifos in Windows ?

Post by kiran_kom »

We are running DS server 7.0 on a windows 2003 server. We need to do address standardization using cass/serp with QS.

Since we cannot call CASS or SERP from a QS plugin this is what I am
doing now.

the DS job reads from the source and creates a seq file for the CASS process to use. Once the DS job is done, I am kicking off CASS using a windows batch file. The CASS process then creates another seq file that is fed back to DS. A second DS job is kicked off after the CASS process is done. This job reads from the seq file and populates the target.

DSJob1 -> Seqfile1

Seqfile1 ->CASS -> Seqfile2

Seqfile2 -> DSJob2

What I would like to do is to use named pipes (fifos) instead of the seq files. The DSjob1 should write onto a pipe, which is read by the CASS process. CASS then should write to a second fifo which is used by the second DS job. This way we would have to land the data and can expect a significant performance boost.

DSjob1 ->Fifo1
Fifo1 ->CASS ->Fifo2
Fifo2 ->Dsjob2

In unix creating a named pipe is quite easy, since a named pipe shows up as a file. I am not sure how to do this in windows. I've created two DS jobs and connected them through a named pipe (in windows). But I was not able to connect a DSjob and a QS job.

If this process can be accomplished most of our headches with this address stuff will be solved (i think).

-Kiran
ariear
Participant

Post by ariear »

Yes, you can. I believe that if you're a MSDN subscriber you have a disc called SFU (Services For UNIX). Install it and you'll have allmost a perfect UNIX functionality running win32 (The most updated version I think is 3.5). I'm a heavy user of it DataStage that is gzipping / awk filtering etc.. and all on windows
kiran_kom
Participant

Post by kiran_kom »

ariear wrote:Yes, you can. I believe that if you're a MSDN subscriber you have a disc called SFU (Services For UNIX). Install it and you'll have allmost a perfect UNIX functionality running win32 (The most updated version I think is 3.5). I'm a heavy user of it DataStage that is gzipping / awk filtering etc.. and all on windows
Thank you. I'll play around with it. If this thing works you'd have done me a great favor.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I think there's a special variant for North America called SNAFU. :lol:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.