Job Failed due to strange reason

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

yiminghu
Participant

Job Failed due to strange reason

Post by yiminghu »

Hi,

I had one extract job, which extracts data from source system, and dumps into hash file. The job was code to pull data of specific site specified in parameter. I also have a main job, in which the above extract job is called several times (depends how many sites I want to process) in a loop. It runs fine with serval rounds, but it fails, and the error message is very strange, please see following.

DataStage Job 476 Phantom 16675
Unable to open "/tmp/capture49324aa" file.
Attempting to Cleanup after ABORT raised in stage CrrExDyTableActual..SRC_CRS
DataStage Phantom Aborting with @ABORT.CODE = 3

I reset the job, and re-run that job with exact same value of parameter which caused job failure, it ran succesfully.

What's the problem, does that mean I could not run this job several times in a row?

Thanks in advance.

Yiming
ogmios
Participant

Re: Job Failed due to strange reason

Post by ogmios »

You would have to supply some more information.

The reason for the abort is simple, "/tmp/capture49324aa" could not be opened.

But what I think is happening is that you have timing problems where one job will not be completely stopped yet and you already start a second run which is using the same files, or something like that.

Ogmios
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It may simply mean that the /tmp file system became full.

Use the UVTEMP configuration parameter to configure scratch space somewhere with more space than /tmp, and where there is less likely to be contention with other UNIX processes.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
yiminghu
Participant

How to configure UVTEMP

Post by yiminghu »

Hi Ray,

Could provide more details about how to configure UVTEMP parameter? Is there a configration file under each project?

Thanks,

Carol
ray.wurlod wrote:It may simply mean that the /tmp file system became full.

Use the UVTEMP configuration parameter to configure scratch space somewhere with more space than /tmp, and where there is less likely to be contention with other UNIX processes.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Search the forum for uvregen. After changes to uvconfig, you must execute uvregen. This is covered alot on the forum.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

UVTEMP is a configuration parameter in the uvconfig file in your DataStage engine directory.
You need to have Administrator privileges for this task.
  • Change directory (cd) to the DataStage Engine directory.

Edit the uvconfig file with any text editor, to change the pathname specified by UVTEMP.

Execute the shell script dsenv if you have not done so already. This sets necessary environment variables.

Back up the .uvconfig file (this is the hidden file with a dot as the first character of its name), but don't use .uvconfig.bak for its name. For example cp .uvconfig .uvconfig.yyyymmdd

Execute the command bin/uvregen while still attached to the DataStage Engine directory. This will issue a message about the size of the shared memory segment.
Changes will not take effect until DataStage is re-started.
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ray.wurlod wrote:Execute the command bin/uv while still attached to the DataStage Engine directory. This will issue a message about the size of the shared memory segment.
Ray, don't you always have to regen after making changes to .uvconfig, as Ken mentions? Shouldn't the command be:

Code: Select all

bin/uv -admin -regen
Or is that only for 'certain' changes? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Seem to have wiped out the "regen" when I applied the bold! Edited the reply to make it right. bin/uv doesn't issue a message about shared memory segment after all. Apologies if that confused anyone, or if this confuses anyone now that the original error has been edited (if, indeed, it ever existed! - must've been a Type 1 slowly changing dimension!) :twisted: