Upgrade to 7.0

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nag0143
Premium Member
Premium Member

Upgrade to 7.0

Post by nag0143 »

Hi
How to upgrade jobs in datastage 5.2 to datastage 7.0 and curious about the ways to test the jobs after upgrading to datastage 7.0.

any suggestions would be great...

thank you
nag
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Test them exactly the same way you'd test them if you hadn't upgraded. :D
I'm in the middle of doing the same upgrade, but there's a change of hardware and operating system and an upgrade of database involved too. But the test suite is the same test suite used on the old system.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You could search the forum, the generic issue of "upgrading" from older versions has been discussed many times. Typically - unless you are involved in a upgrade-everything-all-at-once exercise like Ray is (fun!) - simply install the new version over the old version. It will automatically upgrade your jobs. Ray has pretty much covered the testing part. :wink:

As with anything of this nature, make sure you have a good backup / full set of exports for your projects before you do anything.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
just wanted to point out that IMHO (In My Humble Opinion)
you might want to concider a higher version then 7.0 there is 7.0.1 and 7.1 for some platforms but I don't know if there is one for your's (you didn't mention it).

Good Luck,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
chou
Participant

Post by chou »

Hi all,

Please let me know the Upgrade from Version 5.2 to 7x and migration of all jobs into Production. where Dev is 7x and Production is 6x. Send me the link for Upgrading.

Thanks
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
AFAIK, all is coverd in the 7 version upgrade manual that come with the version.
I upgraded 6 to 7 with no issues, 5.2 to 7 should not have special issues as well.
Be shure to have backups made before you upgrade just in case.
Bare in mind that version 7 clients require the dot net framework installation prior to installing the clients (you can download it or use the version that comes with the client CD.

IHTH,
Roy R.

roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
Almost forgot there is a small issue with sequence jobs that has a simple work around.
I posted it here before, a search should find it.
Good Luck,
Roy R.

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

chou wrote:Hi all,

Please let me know the Upgrade from Version 5.2 to 7x and migration of all jobs into Production. where Dev is 7x and Production is 6x. Send me the link for Upgrading.

Thanks
It is simply not possible to promote version 7 development/test jobs into a version 6 production environment.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chou
Participant

Post by chou »

Hi Ray,

Thanks for kind Response. Actually, Production is running on 6x and we upgraded dev 7x and need to upgrade Production with 7x then migration of all jobs from Dev to Prod.

Is it possible or not. Please let me know clearly.

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Once development/test and production are at the same release, there is no problem.

Upgrading production from version 6 to version 7 is also no problem.
  • Make sure you have a backup (export whole project) just in case.
    Install version 7.
    Any version 6 components will be automatically upgraded as part of this process.
jimlaskaris
Participant

Hard time upgrading from 6 to 7

Post by jimlaskaris »

Hello Ray,

We've had a hell of a time upgrading DataStage 6 to 7.1 We tried just installing 7, it upgraded the engine, but then it couldn't recognize the projects. We called Ascential support and their brilliant solution to this problem was to create a new project and import the jobs (we had taken a full export). We made sure the DataStage engine was shut down before trying the 7.1 install. We thought it would be as easy as you desribed, but it was not. Are we missing something? Here is the error we got:

[DataStage 7.1 - Installation and Maintenance Utility]
Searching for installed components
Setup was unable to build a list of installed projects!
You may continue installing this product, but
existing projects will not be upgraded.
Press <cr> to continue

Any ideas?

Regards,
Jim
ray.wurlod wrote:Once development/test and production are at the same release, there is no problem.

Upgrading production from version 6 to version 7 is also no problem.
  • Make sure you have a backup (export whole project) just in case.
    Install version 7.
    Any version 6 components will be automatically upgraded as part of this process.
Jim Laskaris