Client Switcher

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nigel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Client Switcher

Post by nigel »

Hi all

I've performed 2 upgrades from DS4.x to DS7 on solaris and hp-ux platforms. Both installations still have DS v4 running on a backup/disaster recovery box, so we still use both v4 and v7 clients.

My query relates to the "unsupported" Client Switcher tool that ships with the DS client disk.

I've installed this the tool on clients running NT4 sp6, Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP Professional.

The Client Switcher tool works well except for the ver4 Designer where the pallete containing all the stages disappears and all datastage designer "icons"/"pictures" are blanked out on the canvas.

I've followed all the installation instructions correctly and the 2 different clients reside in separate directories.

Other than that, Switching between ver 7 and 4 works well.

Any ideas on the problem with the Designer client for v4?

:?
Nigel
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I haven't looked at this tool in a little while... do the docs mention what versions it supports? A 4.x client might be a little too old for it and it may be messing up the registry changes when making the switch. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
nigel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nigel »

Hi Craig,

I've got some success to report. It seems that a reboot after the switch back to 4 will get the designer working again.

It obviously does make some registry changes (maybe pointing to different DLLs) that are only really activated after a reboot.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction....

Nigel :D
Nigel
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That's interesting. I was using it for a short time to switch between our 6 and 7 clients (while we were testing 7.0.1) and it did not require a reboot. This was under XP Pro, for what that's worth.

Good to know you got it straightened out!
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
I used it as well with 7.0.1 vrs. 6 and had no problems and no reboot needed.
I guess it's the fact that you'r doing 4 vrs. 7 switching :(
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org