How to migrate data stage jobs into production environment

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

iowajag
Participant

How to migrate data stage jobs into production environment

Post by iowajag »

Hi,

Could anyone throw light briefly on how to migrate data stage jobs into production environment.

Thank you in advance.

iowaJAK
ogmios
Participant

Re: How to migrate data stage jobs into production environme

Post by ogmios »

iowajag wrote:Hi,

Could anyone throw light briefly on how to migrate data stage jobs into production environment.

Thank you in advance.

iowaJAK
1) Version Control that comes with the tool
2) Export jobs (in DataStage manager) from the development environment, import them in production and compile them with CompileAll (in version 7 use mass compile).

Ogmios
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Actually, there is a third method:

3) Release the jobs, create a 'Deployment Package' with the Packaging Wizard and then (after moving it to the target server, if needed) install the package using 'dspackinst'.

Me, I'd stick with #1.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
pedro.duran.silva
Participant

Post by pedro.duran.silva »

Hi ppl.

Release the jobs it's a good idea, but i've try to release a Job Sequencer and it's 2 inner jobs, but the association beetwen them has been lost.

The jobs called by the job sequencer are also released but the link is loss. The job sequencer is still with the link to the non released jobs.

Could anyone help?

thx
Pedro Duran
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

pedro.duran.silva wrote:The job sequencer is still with the link to the non released jobs.
Shouldn't matter. You should always refer to the unreleased Job Name in Sequencers or Job Control. Imagine the chaos if you had to constantly touch them every time you released a new version of a job they ran. :evil:

It's been a long time since I did anything with released jobs (preferring to use Version Control for job promotion once it became available) but from what I remember, DataStage will run the unreleased job if it can find it. If it can't (like in a Production project which only contains released jobs) it will find and run the highest released version of the job in the Project.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It doesn't matter.
DSAttachJob attaches the highest version-numbered released job if there are any present.
You can (should?) use DSGetJobInfo(hJob, DSJ.JOBNAME) to return the real name of the job being executed (for example MyJob%%rel20.2.1).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pedro.duran.silva
Participant

Post by pedro.duran.silva »

thx for the tips :D

As always ... the ppl that help others are the best.

thx again.
Pedro Duran