Sequencer job OK Link

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

JDionne
Participant

Sequencer job OK Link

Post by JDionne »

In a sequencer job if i have a link set conditionaly to OK, if the job that is running posts a warning, will it continue to the next job in the string?
Jim
Sure I need help....But who dosent?
raju_chvr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Sequencer job OK Link

Post by raju_chvr »

nope... in that case you need to choose 'Warning - (Conditional)'
holgi02
Participant

Post by holgi02 »

Hi,

No it will not continue if your only trigger is "OK" from a job activity - that denotes that the job activity completed without warnings. If you want your downstream link to fire if the job activity completes "OK" or "with warnings" then have 2 triggers from the job activity both linked to the same downstream activity, one for "OK" and one for "with warnings". That way the downstream activity will fire when the job activity completes "OK" OR "with warnings"

IHTH

Gil.
JDionne
Participant

Post by JDionne »

hmmm...This is why i ask. I have a sequencer job multipul stages. In one perticulare stage has three links two ok(conditional) and one failure(conditional) The job that was running posted two warnings, but it only processed two rows. this is normal the job did what it was intened to do (except for the warnings), but after this job finished the sequencer job posted as finished with out running the following jobs. I didnt get any errors. Im still looking into it but im confused. Any help would be great.
Jim
JDionne
Participant

Post by JDionne »

holgi02 wrote:Hi,

No it will not continue if your only trigger is "OK" from a job activity - that denotes that the job activity completed without warnings. If you want your downstream link to fire if the job activity completes "OK" or "with warnings" then have 2 triggers from the job activity both linked to the same downstream activity, one for "OK" and one for "with warnings". That way the downstream activity will fire when the job activity completes "OK" OR "with warnings"

IHTH

Gil.
I cant add more than one link to the next job stage. how do i do this?
Jim
raju_chvr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by raju_chvr »

Have the same Job Asvtivity as another stage and the configure that Link to be triggered as 'Warning - (Conditional)' where as the previous one as 'OK - (Conditional)'
JDionne
Participant

Post by JDionne »

raju_chvr wrote:Have the same Job Asvtivity as another stage and the configure that Link to be triggered as 'Warning - (Conditional)' where as the previous one as 'OK - (Conditional)'
Well that makes sence.
Jim
holgi02
Participant

Post by holgi02 »

Put in a Seqencer stage between the two job activity stages. Have 2 links from the 1st job activity to the sequencer stage, 1 for OK, 1 for warnings and have the output trigger from the sequencer stage set to ANY to fire the 2nd job. This way it will execute the 2nd job if the 1st job finishes with warnings or runs OK.

IHTH

Cheers,

Gil.
JDionne
Participant

Post by JDionne »

holgi02 wrote:Put in a Seqencer stage between the two job activity stages. Have 2 links from the 1st job activity to the sequencer stage, 1 for OK, 1 for warnings and have the output trigger from the sequencer stage set to ANY to fire the 2nd job. This way it will execute the 2nd job if the 1st job finishes with warnings or runs OK.

IHTH

Cheers,

Gil.
OHHHHHHH a sequencer stage!!!! ok i get it
Jim
holgi02
Participant

Post by holgi02 »

My mistake... I forgot to mention that little piece of info... very useful the sequencer stage :wink:

Cheers,

Gil.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You can also skip the Sequencer stage in this case and use a Custom trigger, which can handle multiple conditions. For example, to check for Ok or Warnings in one link, put this in the Trigger:

Code: Select all

StageName.$JobStatus = 1 Or StageName.$JobStatus = 2
Mix and match as you need!
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
raju_chvr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by raju_chvr »

This is the best one for me :)
chulett wrote:You can also skip the Sequencer stage in this case and use a Custom trigger, which can handle multiple conditions. For example, to check for Ok or Warnings in one link, put this in the Trigger:

Code: Select all

StageName.$JobStatus = 1 Or StageName.$JobStatus = 2
Mix and match as you need!
holgi02
Participant

Post by holgi02 »

The only downside for me of the custom trigger is it is a little less "visible" on the canvas. I guess there are loads of ways to solve this issue - whatever works for you.

Gil.
raju_chvr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by raju_chvr »

Holgi one way to make it more 'visible' is to rename the link to something more meaning to give an idea of what the trigger is meant for?

Just a thought !
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Another thought - depending on what is meant by 'less visible'. I change the default colors of the Sequence Triggers so that (basically) they are all unique. That way the Custom ones stand out for me as I can tell at a glance which ones are which.

Annotations and good names help, too. :wink: As you said, loads of ways.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers