Transaction cache fie - UNIVERSE

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

levans
Participant

Transaction cache fie - UNIVERSE

Post by levans »

The job that I am trying to run is loading a UV. The update action is clear and insert. This is a job that I have been running in 5.2.1 for months with no problems. We just upgraded to 7.0 and now I am getting the following error message when trying to load the UV.

DSD.BCIOpenW call to SQLExecDirect failed.
DELETE FROM "LocationUV"
SQLSTATE=S1000, DBMS.CODE=909008
[DataStage][SQL Client][UNIVERSE]FATAL: Cannot write to transaction cache file.

Could someone please tell me what this means?

Thanks!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

At the "bleedingly obvious" level it indicates that your transaction could not write to the transaction cache file.

What's going on here is that you're performing some kind of write to a UniVerse table. All writes to UV tables are auto-commit transactions, and are therefore cached until the commit is received (and so that there's somewhere for the transaction log daemon to access them, except that DataStage does not enable UV transaction logging).

DataStage 5.2 is based on a "real" UniVerse, DataStage 7.0 on an engine that is no longer "real" UniVerse. However this should not have affected behaviour of UV stages. Further, no-one else seems to be reporting this particular problem.

It may be a permissions issue, it may be a device full condition, it may be any condition that would thwart a write operation. It's probably worth getting expert help in determining the location of the UniVerse transaction cache (its location is recorded within the DataStage Engine) so that the possible cause can be determined.

Incidentally, were you using the localuv data source, or a different one, in your UV stage? If not localuv, can you post the uvodbc.config entry for your data source?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.