DataStage Licensing

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ogmios
Participant

DataStage Licensing

Post by ogmios »

Does someone know how the DataStage licensing scheme actually works in version 6.x?

The server CPU limit is enforced on UNIX, but I'm getting a distinct feeling the client licenses are not really enforced. Are they supposed to be floating licenses, ...?

Ogmios
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

It's supposed to be simultaneous connections to a given server. But, they really have issues. If you install a client under a 3 user license, and other clients under a 10 user license, then the 3-user people get locked out if more than 3 are in, but the 10 user are not locked out until more than 10 are in. It's kind of goofy, because to upgrade the 3 user license you have to un-install and go thru a re-install of the client under the 10 user license.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ogmios
Participant

Post by ogmios »

What I see in one site is that with a client license of 3, at least 5 people can logon simultaneously without a problem (version 6.0.1). So I was kind of wondering whether anything is broken in their scheme, in this version.

Only one kind of client cd/license key was ever used at that site.

We were considering moving the DataStage clients to a Windows terminal server to avoid licensing issues...

Ogmios
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

When clients are logged in, take a look at the contents of the DS_LICENSE hashed file in the UV account.

Code: Select all

LIST.ITEM DS_LICENSE
These records' keys are also visible in the LIST.READU output, but it's the other fields that I think you'll find interesting given that you want to know how it works.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ogmios
Participant

Post by ogmios »

Thanks, but I see licenses of people currently not working and there are more licenses in there than the number of "licensed" licenses we have.

Will keep it for now, we can still move to a terminal server on license problems to keep it official :lol:

Ogmios
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

You might be seeing some Designer licenses for client software that is no longer installed or being used. It appears in the license file on the server but you can't use those licenses unless you can find the authorisation number that goes with it.

I find the licensing is unwieldy when a customer adds extra developer licenses and find out you can't pool licenses that have different serial numbers. Often a company starts a DataStage implementation on a small scale, with a pilot project, then need to ramp up later on.