missing column action in sequential file stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jreddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

missing column action in sequential file stage

Post by jreddy »

Hi,

i have a situation where i have 2 input files which have to be loaded into same target table. The difference between the two delimited files is that one has about 5 columns and the other has 8 columns. The first 5 columns of both are same. I want to use the same job to load data from both these files. Documentation says that we can pad missing columns with SQL NULL or pad them with a character specified, but couldnt implement it. (this functionality is sort of similar to the trailing null cols concept of sqlldr)

Has another done that before. Please suggest how to get it done.

thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Your approach sounds to me like it should work fine. What did you actually use in the 'extra' columns in the Sequential stage?

Scroll right over to the "Incomplete Column" column and change it for all of those affected columns to "Replace" and it should set them to null by default when loading the file where they are 'missing'.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jreddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jreddy »

craig :)

it worked. Thanks again.

i guess the manual should talk about setting the incomplete column to 'replace' as well, when i want to use the missing columns action, or i didnt read it properly, but anyways, thanks for the tip