Date selection criteria in Unidata stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

wdudek
Participant

Date selection criteria in Unidata stage

Post by wdudek »

I have two date fields in a Unidata file that I would like to use as criteria in order to limit the number of records I am returning, but I have not been able to figure out the syntax to use for this, instead of getting the limited number of records I get everything back. The syntax I was trying to use was OIC_RECEIVED_DATE >= @DATE -1 OR WITH OIC_SYSTEM_DATE >= @DATE -3

When this didn't work I tried

OIC_RECEIVED_DATE >= OCONV(@DATE -1, "D") OR WITH OIC_SYSTEM_DATE >= OCONV(@DATE -3, "D")

and this didn't work either. Any suggestions? I need to put this in the criteria so that I can limit the number of records, otherwise I am dealing with 10 million records and the job takes 12 hours to extract this.
wdudek
Participant

Post by wdudek »

I hard coded the data and it worked, i.e. OIC_SYSTEM_DATE >= "02/04/04" and this worked, but I need this to be dynamic.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Do a search on EVAL. Unidata is similar to Universe. It needs a valid dictionary item or EVAL.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Avoid the second WITH. You'll get better query performance, particularly if the two date columns are indexed (which, ideally, they should be).

Code: Select all

WITH OIC_RECEIVED_DATE >= EVAL "OCONV(@DATE-1, 'D') OR OIC_SYSTEM_DATE >= EVAL "OCONV(@DATE-3, 'D')" 
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
wdudek
Participant

Post by wdudek »

This looked like it was working, but I have recently found out that not all of the data is being pulled over. The Unidata field is multi valued, does this affect the selection statement?
wdudek
Participant

Post by wdudek »

Ok, I have more information now. With the above code, I seem to be getting data that is scattered through out the dates in the table. When I hard code it to look like

OIC_RECEIVED_DATE >=  "02/01/2004" OR OIC_SYSTEM_DATE >= "02/01/2004"
it works fine. Is there some setting that controls what comes out of ICONV for dates? i.e. Maybe I have a local setting so that the date is in the wrong format for our system to use?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes, there is. YOU control it, with the specification in OCONV. For example:

WITH OIC_RECEIVED_DATE >= EVAL "OCONV(@DATE-1, 'D/MDY[2,2,4]') OR OIC_SYSTEM_DATE >= EVAL "OCONV(@DATE-3, 'D/MDY[2,2,4]')"  
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

wdudek wrote:This looked like it was working, but I have recently found out that not all of the data is being pulled over. The Unidata field is multi valued, does this affect the selection statement?
Yes it can, depending on what columns (fields, in UniData parlance) you're extracting. If you want to limit the extraction to only those values that meet your criteria, you have the choice of a WHEN clause (meaning that you're extracting the multi-valued fields as multi-valued) or a BY.EXP clause (meaning that you're generating one row per value but within that row there is only one value).

A WHEN clause mimics a WITH clause exactly. The WHEN clause has the effect of suppressing display of values that do not meet the criteria.

WITH OIC_RECEIVED_DATE >= EVAL "OCONV(@DATE-1, 'D/MDY[2,2,4]') OR OIC_SYSTEM_DATE >= EVAL "OCONV(@DATE-3, 'D/MDY[2,2,4]')"  
WHEN OIC_RECEIVED_DATE >= EVAL "OCONV(@DATE-1, 'D/MDY[2,2,4]') OR OIC_SYSTEM_DATE >= EVAL "OCONV(@DATE-3, 'D/MDY[2,2,4]')"  
A BY.EXP clause specifies an exploded sort on a multi-valued field.

WITH OIC_RECEIVED_DATE >= EVAL "OCONV(@DATE-1, 'D/MDY[2,2,4]') OR OIC_SYSTEM_DATE >= EVAL "OCONV(@DATE-3, 'D/MDY[2,2,4]')"   BY.EXP OIC_RECEIVED_DATE