Problems using Link Collector

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jash
Participant

Problems using Link Collector

Post by jash »

I am writing a job with a link collector. It is accepting 2 inputs of the same format from 2 different transformers. Then the output is to a DB2 plugin. The job executes without error when selecting - "Clear table and insert rows". The job needs to be changed to Update then Insert new rows. I get an "Error occurred during link open processing" on the output link when selecting "Update existing rows or insert new rows".

Any ideas of how to get this to work? I know others have had problems with the Link Collector. Maybe there is an alternative approach?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you
Jenny
raju_chvr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Problems using Link Collector

Post by raju_chvr »

What is your target Database in the job and what is the stage you are using to write into ?
jash
Participant

Post by jash »

raju_chvr wrote:What is your target Database in the job and what is the stage you are using to write into ?

The target database is mainframe DB2 (stage is DSDB2) and the stage writing to it is the Link Collector. I have tried having the Link Collector write to a sequential file first then writing to the database, but I get the same error.
raju_chvr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by raju_chvr »

OOPS you hae already mentioned the target. Sorry !

When writing into Sequential file and then to DB2 in which stage are you having the error. I would suggest for that job, break it into 2 jobs. First write into Sequential file in Link Partitioner job and then use this file to write into DB2 with the Update strategy you want ..

IHTH
jash
Participant

Post by jash »

raju_chvr wrote:OOPS you hae already mentioned the target. Sorry !

When writing into Sequential file and then to DB2 in which stage are you having the error. I would suggest for that job, break it into 2 jobs. First write into Sequential file in Link Partitioner job and then use this file to write into DB2 with the Update strategy you want ..

IHTH
I agree, I would like to write it in two jobs. Our Application Operations team would like to avoid adding another job to our current job stream. So I'm trying to accomplish writing in 1 job.

It is erroring on the ouput link to the table. I believe because it is trying to open the link containing the rows to update or insert, but the collector hasn't finished collecting all the rows. The only other time I have used a link collector/partitioner I have written to a file not a database.
raju_chvr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by raju_chvr »

If you are writing into a Sequential file before update/insert into DB2,
that process will wait until the file is fully ready meaning that

Seq -> Db2 will happen once: LP -> Seq is finished only.

I believe I am not wrong. that is how is the typical behavior of Sequential files and Hash files.

if that is the case it has to do something with the DB2 stage and not with Link Partitioner.
jash
Participant

Post by jash »

Well, I'll try writting to a file first. If I still have problems, I'll ask our administator about the DB2 stage.

Thank you for your help!