Migrating DS from one Unix server to another

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kh
Participant

Migrating DS from one Unix server to another

Post by kh »

We are planning on moving DS from one Unix server to another. DS is installed on the original server in a volume that resides on our SAN. Everything is contained within (incl Oracle client stuff) with the exception of things such as /.dshome, user-related stuff, cron-related stuff, etc.

If the new server is configured like the original server (same version of OS, kernel params, etc.), can migration basically be as simple as copying that volume on the SAN to another location on the SAN that the new server accesses?

Of course I'm leaving out some of the smaller steps in the cut-over, but I'd like to know if this would work. Are there any other considerations I may not have thought about?
Kevin Hart
Apollo Group
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The obvious one is user IDs, permissions and privileges in the DataStage environment.
A slightly less obvious one is things like system tables and indexes.
Another less obvious one is licensing. Is it the same UNIX? If it isn't, your licensing won't be valid on the new system.

I would not advocate your approach, even though there is a chance that it would work (provided your assertion of identical configuration is valid). Instead I would recommend exporting each project, creating fresh projects on the new system, and importing. Then you will need to check the "surrounds"; ODBC configuration, uvodbc.config, uvconfig, hashed files, and so on.

Do you have hashed files in directories that are not part of projects? You can re-create these by validating the jobs that populate them. But the directories that contain them must have been created on the new system.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.