Tips required for Telnet After Command

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jcoley
Participant

Tips required for Telnet After Command

Post by jcoley »

I've set up a test server job using an FTP stage to FTP a file, then process it using a Telnet after command.

The FTP works fine, but the Telnet command always fails with

TestFTP..ftp_3: unable to execute Telnet command 'Telnet After Command'

no matter how I configure it.

Does anyone have any tips on how to set up the FTP stage to make this work, or how I can get more information as to why it was 'unable to execute'?

Cheers,
Jeremy.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As a start, change your Tracing Level to get more information. If you check the Properties Help you'll see the values they support. Add the ones you want to set together when you set the level.

Note this is available at both the Stage and Input properties level. The extra information dumped into the log may give you a clue as to what's going on.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
lebos
Participant

Post by lebos »

I had the same problem trying to FTP to a Mainframe. Quoting from Ascential Support:

"Unfortunatly at this time the telnet after and before command is only for
Unix systems. It does not work for NT or Mainframe systems. "

Maybe this is your problem?

Larry
jcoley
Participant

Post by jcoley »

Thank's for the suggestions.

I've tried various settings for the Tracing level, but it doesn't give any useful information. Link tracing level = 32 (telnet data dump), which I expected to give me something useful didn't return anything.

This is a Unix to Unix transfer, so I would expect it to be fairly straightforward. The userid/password can't be wrong because the FTP works ok. I've tried changing the Telnet prompts to what appears when I do it manually, but still no luck.
dsguy1247
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsguy1247 »

jcoley wrote:Thank's for the suggestions.

I've tried various settings for the Tracing level, but it doesn't give any useful information. Link tracing level = 32 (telnet data dump), which I expected to give me something useful didn't return anything.

This is a Unix to Unix transfer, so I would expect it to be fairly straightforward. The userid/password can't be wrong because the FTP works ok. I've tried changing the Telnet prompts to what appears when I do it manually, but still no luck.
Hi,

You may want to look at the file "pam.conf" of the target unix system. Most of the times, the default settings are sufficient. But, sometimes we need to make changes to make it work.

Once, I had a similar problem, I did not have any clue about what to do. Here is what helped to diagnose and fix the problem. I ran my job and simultaneously "trussed- traced the system calls" in the process dsrpcd. I also requested our Unix administrator to launch a "truss" on the telnet daemon (telnetd) of the target machine. The truss output revealed the exact problem.

The command which I used for truss was: truss -p pid. pid is the process id on the Unix system
Hope this helps.