Version Control V7 with Datastage V6

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

auvray.muriel
Participant

Version Control V7 with Datastage V6

Post by auvray.muriel »

Hello,

It is possible to use Version Control V7 with Datastage V6 ?
I would like to be able to have several projects "Version" according to the environments (Receipt, production), but VC V6 does not allow it.

Thank you

Muriel Auvray
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Actually, V6 Version Control does allow multiple VERSION projects, you just have to play a little game. :) When logging on to VC, "mis-type" one of the values, like the password for example. You will get an error message and then be presented with a new connection dialogue, this time with the Project included. There you can select any number of precreated VERSION projects. This can be simplified by adding Version Control to your Custom menu in any of the DataStage tools (which adds it to all, btw) with one of the parameters purposefully configured wrong.

That being said, I'd question the need to do this for 'environments', which I'm assuming means Development, Test and Production basically. If you've read the methodology overview in the VC documentation, you'll see that one VC project services all 'environments'.

What we use the different projects for in Version Control is to separate Subject Areas. For example, we have a 'Finance' subject area with three related projects (one for each environment) that use one VC project. Ditto for our 'HR' subject area and our 'EIW' subject area. Other people on this board have discussed using multiple job projects and (I assume) Version Control projects to control release levels - one set for the 1.0 and any minor releases, a completely new set for the 2.0 release... etc.

To answer your original question... while you probably could, there really isn't any need to.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
auvray.muriel
Participant

Post by auvray.muriel »

I have several projects to deploy.
A project "Calculation of the risk",
a project "Extraction" and a project "Assessment"

For these 3 projects, we must use VC. For this reason I wondered whether one could use VC V7 with DS6 :lol:

Thank you for these infos

Muriel