SQL dates and DS

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

JDionne
Participant

SQL dates and DS

Post by JDionne »

I have a sequenctial file that has a date field in it. In my transform I use the following code
oconv(iconv(Input.Update_Date, "D-ymd[4,2,2]"), "D/MDY[2,2,4]")

this outputs correctly. I am tring ot load to a colum of the data type DateTime. I get the following error
JOCDEVLoadToServer..Into_SQL_Server: At row 30, link "OutPut", while processing column "Update_Date"
Value treated as NULL
Attempt to convert String value "01/29/2004" to Timestamp type unsuccessful

if i use the code oconv(iconv(Input.Update_Date, "D-ymd[4,2,2]"), "D/MDY[2,2,4]") : " 00:00:00" I get the error

JOCDEVLoadToServer..Into_SQL_Server: OLE DB provider error: The statement has been terminated.

What am I doing wrong?

Jim

PS I am trying to go from varchar in the flat file to a column defined as timestamp in DS wich is actualy datetime in SQL
Sure I need help....But who dosent?
ogmios
Participant

Re: SQL dates and DS

Post by ogmios »

Which kind of database stage generates the error? There are huge differences between the different kind of stages.

Ogmios
Last edited by ogmios on Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justlrng
Participant

Post by justlrng »

Try reformatting so that your statement reads

oconv(iconv(Input.Update_Date, "D-ymd[4,2,2]"), "D4-YMD[4,2,2]") : Oconv("00:00:00","MTS")

replacing the / with -.
JDionne
Participant

Post by JDionne »

ogmios wrote:Which kind of database stage generates the error? There are huge differences between the different kind of stages.

Ogmios

Not sure what u are asking but I have three stages in the job a Sequencial a transformer and an ODBC. Im guessing that the error is originating at teh ODBC stage
Jim
ogmios
Participant

Post by ogmios »

Some stages as the DB2 stage want input/output in 'internal format" for dates, while ODBC stages use "string" input/output.

So not sure as I don't have datastage access right now but I would switch the "format"s as:

Code: Select all

oconv(iconv(Input.Update_Date,  "D/MDY[2,2,4]"), "D-ymd[4,2,2]") : " 00:00:00" 
Convert the date using '/'s to internal format, and then changing to a format compatible with ODBC (using -'s).

Ogmios
JDionne
Participant

Post by JDionne »

justlrng wrote:Try reformatting so that your statement reads

oconv(iconv(Input.Update_Date, "D-ymd[4,2,2]"), "D4-YMD[4,2,2]") : Oconv("00:00:00","MTS")

replacing the / with -.

This seems to have fixed it...
oconv(iconv(Input.Update_Date, "D-ymd[4,2,2]"), "D/MDY[2,2,4]") : " " : Oconv("00:00:00","MTS")

I can only guess that the data type in SQL didnt like the seconds in a text string. we will find out later this month when I have another run.
Thanx All
Jim