Installing DS 7 not using root

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ewartpm
Participant

Installing DS 7 not using root

Post by ewartpm »

:cry: When trying to install DS 7 as a non-root user the installation works. I can stop and start the DS server. However, I cannot connect to the server from a client. I get the usr/pwd are incorrect.

Installing with root however works fine.

Any comments/help is much appreciated!
Mark Ewart-Phipps
Centerfield Software (Pty) Ltd
Tel +27 11 462 7003
Fax +27 11 462 7392
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Read the installation instructions again. The only possible user ID (apart from root) that you can use to install DataStage is dsadm. Were you using this ID? There is a separate chapter in the Install and Upgrade Guide (which installs with all the other manuals with your client software) about how to perform this installation.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

One thing that was not mentioned in the guide: dsadm MUST be clean. Very little customization within it that you may use for your company. Basically, have the most default account you can create for your OS.

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).
ewartpm
Participant

Post by ewartpm »

Hi Guys

Thanks for the input. I did install with dsadm. Ascential have come back to me and suggested that the install with another user id works, but the services must be started by root. So it's off to root I go I oh, I oh...
Mark Ewart-Phipps
Centerfield Software (Pty) Ltd
Tel +27 11 462 7003
Fax +27 11 462 7392
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
Another thing that might have been overlooked is that dsadm must be a member of the system group 0 (zero) if my memoty serves me from what I read about DS 7 installation (or is that only in my true 64 hmm ?)

Good Luck,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

roy wrote:(or is that only in my true 64 hmm ?)
Yup, Tru64 only. :)
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That makes sense, given that init (pid 1) runs as root and starts things in the auto-start directory (/etc/rc2.d or wherever).
However, it is my understanding that dsadm can use the -admin option to stop and start services using the uv command. I can't test this just now - perhaps someone else can?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ray.wurlod wrote:However, it is my understanding that dsadm can use the -admin option to stop and start services using the uv command.
True, this was specifically added so that someone other than root (ie, the 'admin') can start and stop the server:

Code: Select all

$dshome/bin/uv -admin -start
$dshome/bin/uv -admin -stop
Not sure why the OP would be told that the services must be started by root. :? It was my understanding that the installation must be done by root, but after that...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

From the 7.0.1 Readme:
DataStage installation requires that the user performing the installation be logged into the system as "root", unless a Non-root Install is being performed.
(From 40INSTU.TXT;1)

Also:
It is now possible to install DataStage as a user other than root. For details and restrictions on doing this, please see the "DataStage Install and Upgrade Guide" and refer to "Non-root install" in the chapter "Installing on UNIX Systems". Note that this option is only available for clean installs of 7.0 and subsequent upgrades; if you have an existing pre-7.0 installation then upgrades must be performed as root.

At this release the name of the administration user does not need to be dsadm. The administration user MUST be created before installing or upgrading DataStage. See the documentation provided with your operating system for how to create a new user.
(From README.TXT;1)

Also to answer Ray's question:

bin/uv -admin -stop
To Stop.

bin/uv -admin -start
To Start.

(You need to be at $dshome (Where the DSEngine are).)

cd `cat /.dshome`
-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
as far as I remember (from the 7.0.1 release notes)
there is a difference in the behaviour of permissions between the 2 installations.
if you use root as the install user then the permissions are dependent on the login user rights.

if you use none root install then all gain the installation user's rights for DS use.

this is a substantial difference especially when the Production installation is concerned.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
ogmios
Participant

Post by ogmios »

ALWAYS use root to install DataStage (on UNIX). When using root it will put some suid bits on the binaries which allow Datastage to switch the user ids of the DataStage jobs that it executes to the user id you run the job with. It will also allow the engine to run with a little bit of extra privileges which it requires on secure systems (like checking the passwords e.g.)

To enter the license key you will probably need root anyway.

Ogmios