PX job re-run abort

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

praj
Participant

PX job re-run abort

Post by praj »

I am running a PX job creating multiple datasets from a seq file using a Xmer. The input has millions of records. Now when i run this job for the first time, there was no problem but when i rerun that job changing input and without recompiling job it aborted.
if i compile the job, it works. The error it gives is "Sort_101,0: Fork failed: Not enough space"

ne help
cheers
praj
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Others have encountered this, as a search of the Forum will reveal. It's probably a lack of scratch space on one or more of your nodes. The solution is to allocate more and/or to clean out unneeded files from any scratch space that you've already allocated.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Teej
Participant

Re: PX job re-run abort

Post by Teej »

praj wrote:I am running a PX job creating multiple datasets from a seq file using a Xmer. The input has millions of records. Now when i run this job for the first time, there was no problem but when i rerun that job changing input and without recompiling job it aborted.
if i compile the job, it works. The error it gives is "Sort_101,0: Fork failed: Not enough space"
What the error you provided is saying: When you are attempting to run a Sort on whatever data you have, it apparently ran out of scratch space.

Double check to ensure your scratch space is big enough for the data. You CAN use multiple mountpoint per node within your configuration file. Do a search on this forum for configuration files.

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).
vzoubov
Participant

Re: PX job re-run abort

Post by vzoubov »

praj wrote:Iit gives is "Sort_101,0: Fork failed: Not enough space"
Not a Unix expert but sounds to me like there's not enough virtual memory to start a new process.

Vitali.