Inner Circle Experts Design Dilemma

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Could this poster get some feedback? I tried to lay out his situation and frame the feedback, but I wanted him to have (hopefully) a consensus opinion of the experts for him to lay in front of his company.

Teej, Craig, Ray, Kim, Vince, Bigpoppa, Mike, Mike, Steve, Steve, and Mike; I'm calling you out! :lol:

viewtopic.php?p=100748#100748

Thanks!
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Already added my $0.02 8)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Gee, Sheriff Bland, never been 'called out' before. :wink: I added a little as well.

We've been through this before quite a bit, one recent example being this thread. If you've got a situation like 'trobinson' where you are doing (pseudo) Real Time work combined with Two-Phase Commit issues wrapped up in MQ Series then Stored Procedures just may save your bacon. But when you are batching up a bajillion records a day it's time to pull apart the procs and do the work down inside DataStage or your nice yummy bacon may just stay a pig.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Ken

I agree Craig that I shocked you asked but Ray was a little too nice.
1. Is this a scalable solution?
2. Is this a performant solution?
3. Is this a manageable solution from a code maintenance point of view?
4. Is the solution tunable?
5. Is the solution utilizing the tool to its fullest processing throughput capability?
6. Is the solution utilizing the tool to its fullest graphical data flow metaphor?
7. Is the solution supporting a metadata/enterprise impact analysis framework?
8. Is the solution elegant?
3. Not really.
4. Not really.
8. Ugly solution.

There is my 2 cents.

Kim.
Mamu Kim
bigpoppa
Participant

Post by bigpoppa »

I don't know much about the PX CDC stage, but isn't this what it's supposed to do? It sounds like he's trying to implement a slowly changing dimension, right?

PX can be used to do large lookups if the lookup table on the database is partitioned. PX can instantiate a separate reader per partition.

-BP
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
I was wondering, what qualifies one to get inner circle membership?
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Petitioning the DSXchange Deity, your Editor. Beware, you'll have to learn the secret wink, handshake, and dance. Apparently the Editor is working on a new tango? Or was it mambo? :lol:
Kenneth Bland

Editor

Post by Editor »

Ken and our beloved community,

The inner circle consists of mostly people who I have met, worked with, built a trusted relationship, and have a unique talent or perspective on the DataStage community that is needed to get advice or a balance response to questions of behaviour within and from outside of the community. Many have never met each other than electronically or from the standpoint of DS philosophy. Entrance to the group, like any group people want to set up for specific purposes, is just that, specific use. It is not to say that being in this group suggests you are better or more competent, it just say that the others in this group know the history behind the members.

If there is any other group that folks want to create, similar to Vincent, who started an AUSSIE group, then please send your request and plan to the Webmaster or Editor @dsxchange.com

Again, thanks for all the posts and the continued support. You are all wonderful!!!

Dennis James, Editor
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

kduke wrote:I agree Craig...
Hey Kim! It's been awhile, long time no 'see'. How has life been treating you down there in Texas? :)
-craig

kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Craig

Thanks but this forum is just too time consuming. You guys seem to function just fine without me. We will never catch Ray anyway not that was ever a goal of mine. Ray's and Ken's knowledge covers a broader range of topics than mine ever will.
Mamu Kim
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

kduke wrote:Thanks but this forum is just too time consuming. You guys seem to function just fine without me. We will never catch Ray anyway not that was ever a goal of mine. Ray's and Ken's knowledge covers a broader range of topics than mine ever will.
Now hey, I think you holds your own very well with this forum. I don't know as much as Ray and Ken does, but hey -- might as well try my best and learn some more. After all, it's fun! :)

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not having been involved with DataStage since Year Zero (like some folks :wink: ) I have some things I know pretty well and lots of other things I'm still working on. Yah, the forum can get time consuming and I seem to spend way too many early mornings or late evenings here. But - like T.J. - I'm trying my best to help when I can and perhaps have some fun along the way! Problems are like puzzles and there can be a great deal of satisfaction in helping solve them. And then there's the learning. Seems like there's always something to learn... and I haven't even touched 7.x or RTI yet. :cry:

We may be functioning 'just fine' but it's still a good place to poke your head in once in a while, wave and say hi. Lets us know you are still around. :)
-craig

kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Hey man, the party is over for me. The little boy is now over 2 months, time to do some serious billable work. No more sitting around home burping the baby and stacking diapers and running to the office when I hear a post land on the site (pretty cool, just crank up the speakers and hear the chime of fresh post). :lol:

My brother-in-law's on the way from Japan in two weeks and then I'm off on vacation with them for a week, so, you'll just have to survive without me. :)
Kenneth Bland

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

kduke wrote:Thanks but this forum is just too time consuming. You guys seem to function just fine without me. We will never catch Ray anyway not that was ever a goal of mine. Ray's and Ken's knowledge covers a broader range of topics than mine ever will.
Well, just wait till ADN catches on. Then there'll be even more to look at.
I agree that it's time consuming; you may have noticed my contribution rate (posts/day) has eased off recently, it's a function of how much other work I have, and right now I'm really busy.
But I think it's still important to contribute what I can, as well as to learn what I can.
If it's any consolation, I also contribute to a number of other forums, for UniVerse and Red Brick Warehouse, as well as the Oliver list for DataStage and ADN. And I do get to sleep occasionally! :wink:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.