AGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

JDionne
Participant

AGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

Post by JDionne »

ok im gona go crazy here. I have taken previous advice and and running a large file through three transformsers creating three small files and then using the dos copy comand i am adding them back together for a load.
Im getting the following error. JOCDEVLoadStage..Sequential_File_0.DSLink3: nls_read_delimited() - row 627743, column LINE, required column missing

this made me think that i have a null in the data...i have further investigated and found no Nulls or blank strings in that column. I have to load this now so im gona load all the little files but i have to get this fixed.
any suggestions would be great.
Jim
Sure I need help....But who dosent?
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Are you using fixed width files or delimited files? When dealing with sequential files you have to be aware of embedded <CR> and <LF> characters, as well as in the case of delimited files the delimiter being used within the data.

It doesn't matter if 1 big file or 100 small files are used. I suspect your issue is related to an embedded <CR> or <LF>. This messaging typically happens because the <CR> or <LF> forms a newline in the data, which will be the remainder of the previous line. Now, your metadata and data do not match, thus the error message.

Unless line 627743 falls near where two files were concatenated together (look at your row counts on the 3 files and figure it out), then your problem is data related. The other day I told you to make sure you did NOT check omit newline, because of the nature of sequential files behaving without a trailing newlnie. If you didn't heed that advice, this could also be your problem.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
JDionne
Participant

Post by JDionne »

kcbland wrote:Are you using fixed width files or delimited files? When dealing with sequential files you have to be aware of embedded <CR> and <LF> characters, as well as in the case of delimited files the delimiter being used within the data.

It doesn't matter if 1 big file or 100 small files are used. I suspect your issue is related to an embedded <CR> or <LF>. This messaging typically happens because the <CR> or <LF> forms a newline in the data, which will be the remainder of the previous line. Now, your metadata and data do not match, thus the error message.

Unless line 627743 falls near where two files were concatenated together (look at your row counts on the 3 files and figure it out), then your problem is data related. The other day I told you to make sure you did NOT check omit newline, because of the nature of sequential files behaving without a trailing newlnie. If you didn't heed that advice, this could also be your problem.

@#@$%!#$#@%!%@#$^#$$@# stupid delimiters!!! im willing to put money on the fact that i have an imbeded dilimiter. Ill check and let you know.
Jim
JDionne
Participant

Post by JDionne »

kcbland wrote:Are you using fixed width files or delimited files? When dealing with sequential files you have to be aware of embedded <CR> and <LF> characters, as well as in the case of delimited files the delimiter being used within the data.

Its not a delimiter problem i reran the job with a dilimter that was not in the data "|" and it still failed. I havent seen the option of omit newline so im sure i didnt check it. like to know where it is though so that i can check to be certain. i dont think i have a <CR> or <LF> in the data, i can get the original file to load its the file that has been combined with the dos copy command that will not load. still scratching around here
Jim
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
well another way might be the type command something like

Code: Select all

type file1 file2 file3 > file4
in case that doesn't work you might have some problem with 1 of 2 things;
1. as Ken said a line brake due to some unseen character in your data (could be a CR)
2. a delimiter missmatch between the 3 files.

the thing that bothers me is that loading each file works, so could it be that somehow the copy command messes things up? :shock:

do tell us if and how you solved this.
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Look at the sequential stage file definition. There is a check box for omit new line. If you wrote a file with this NOT checked, the data looks like this:

file 1:
aaaa <LF>
bbbb <LF>
cccc <LF>

file 2:
dddd <LF>
eeee <LF>
ffff<LF>

concatenated you get:
aaaa <LF>
bbbb <LF>
cccc <LF>
dddd <LF>
eeee <LF>
ffff<LF>
If you wrote a file with this checked, the data looks like this:

Omitting newline file 1:
aaaa <LF>
bbbb <LF>
cccc

Omitting newline file 2:
dddd <LF>
eeee <LF>
ffff

concatenated you get:
aaaa <LF>
bbbb <LF>
ccccdddd <LF>
eeee <LF>
ffff
Kenneth Bland

1stpoint
Participant

Hash File??

Post by 1stpoint »

Why are you writing to 3 separate dos files and then concatenating them??
I would have used a non-indexed hash file and then cleared it at the beginning of the process.
kcbland
Participant

Re: Hash File??

Post by kcbland »

1stpoint wrote:Why are you writing to 3 separate dos files and then concatenating them??
I would have used a non-indexed hash file and then cleared it at the beginning of the process.
Because you incur the overhead of hashing and seeking/writing/dynamically resizing/overflowing/etc a hash file when what you need to do is divide-and-conquer data and stream it to a reliable landing zone for recombination. The link collector is pitiful, and mkfifo pipes are problematic, not to mention they are destructively read, so no restart capabilities.

He's doing it on my recommendation, please read the prior commentary on this post.
Kenneth Bland

JDionne
Participant

Post by JDionne »

kcbland wrote:Look at the sequential stage file definition. There is a check box for omit new line. If you wrote a file with this NOT checked, the data looks like this:

file 1:
aaaa <LF>
bbbb <LF>
cccc <LF>

file 2:
dddd <LF>
eeee <LF>
ffff<LF>

concatenated you get:
aaaa <LF>
bbbb <LF>
cccc <LF>
dddd <LF>
eeee <LF>
ffff<LF>
If you wrote a file with this checked, the data looks like this:

Omitting newline file 1:
aaaa <LF>
bbbb <LF>
cccc

Omitting newline file 2:
dddd <LF>
eeee <LF>
ffff

concatenated you get:
aaaa <LF>
bbbb <LF>
ccccdddd <LF>
eeee <LF>
ffff
Ill give it a gander
Jim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is one other possibility, and that is that a required column is indeed missing. In the Columns grid of the Sequential File stage, scroll to the right and you can change the rules about what happens when a column is missing, for example from aborting the job to substituting a pad character (maybe NULL).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
wdudek
Participant

Post by wdudek »

Since you stated that loading each file works, I'd suggest using a hex editor to look at the concatenated file, at the byte position starting where the first file ends, to see if there's anything unusual in the data that won't show up in an editor.
JDionne
Participant

Post by JDionne »

wdudek wrote:Since you stated that loading each file works, I'd suggest using a hex editor to look at the concatenated file, at the byte position starting where the first file ends, to see if there's anything unusual in the data that won't show up in an editor.
um hex editor? have no idea even about the name of such a thing. Which one would u sugest?
Jim
wdudek
Participant

Post by wdudek »

Try this one

http://www-physics.mps.ohio-state.edu/~prewett/hexedit/

it's free so your not wasting any money if it doesn't work out for you. Ultra edit also works, but unless you pay for it you can only use the trial version.

Hex editors are similiar to a text editor like notepad, except that you are not viewing the ascii characters that may or may not be displayed in such an editor, but instead the decimal or hexadecimal (thus the name) number that represents this data. Therefore, you will be able to see the carriage return and linefeed characters 13 and 10 in dec (i might have that backwards) and any other non displayable character that may be in your data and could be causing problems.
JDionne
Participant

Post by JDionne »

wdudek wrote:Try this one

http://www-physics.mps.ohio-state.edu/~prewett/hexedit/

it's free so your not wasting any money if it doesn't work out for you. Ultra edit also works, but unless you pay for it you can only use the trial version.

Hex editors are similiar to a text editor like notepad, except that you are not viewing the ascii characters that may or may not be displayed in such an editor, but instead the decimal or hexadecimal (thus the name) number that represents this data. Therefore, you will be able to see the carriage return and linefeed characters 13 and 10 in dec (i might have that backwards) and any other non displayable character that may be in your data and could be causing problems.
thanx ill give it a go and get back to you guys at the begining of the week
Jim
aaronej
Participant

Post by aaronej »

JDionne wrote: Its not a delimiter problem i reran the job with a dilimter that was not in the data "|" and it still failed. I havent seen the option of omit newline so im sure i didnt check it. like to know where it is though so that i can check to be certain. i dont think i have a <CR> or <LF> in the data, i can get the original file to load its the file that has been combined with the dos copy command that will not load. still scratching around here
Jim
Try using a routine that checks the data for carriage returns or line feeds. I have this issue and use some code like this ina routine to check this:

Ans = CONVERT(CHAR(13), '', CONVERT(CHAR(10), '', Arg1))
I just pass the data I am looking at into this routine (Arg1) and spit out the data with the line feeds and carriage returns removed (Ans).

Hope this helps!

Aaron